Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b2net
Streaming Star

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

We had only audio sync issues with our first Roku Ultra 2020 that bricked 2 days after purchase and use.  Our replacement unit now has a thumping should when switching between audio types when using Passthrough setting (or switching between Auto Detect and Passthrough settings).

I got flagged as Spam when attempting to paste same text here as my post so here is a link to more details if interested.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/2nd-Roku-Ultra-2020-makes-thumping-s...

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've also tested removing the audio connection between the TV and the AVR and the pop thump sound still exists on the TV speakers so it isn't an issue of the optical connection between the TV and our AVR.

0 Kudos
Timcredible
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've used the new Roku all day with football, no issues since I set the audio to passthrough, and I checked Disney+ for atmos, and it just changed it to dd, which is fine for me, I only have 6 speakers.  Anyway, for me at least, it looks like setting audio to passthrough fixed the sound volume issue and the pause issue.  Hope it is software

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Glad it worked out for you.  For us the 3rd unit is exhibiting the same behavior.  When changing from Auto Detect to Passthrough there is the pop thump sound as there is when in passthrough as the sound source changes (ie playing Dolby Digital then stopping which switches back to Linear PCM).

I wish there was someone from Roku that could comment om whether or not the new updated OS addresses the AV sync and the pop thump sound issues.  If it doesn't then we may have to skip updating our Roku till another model on the future.

0 Kudos
BruceH

Jump to solution

I just got my new ultra and am very disappointed.  I also just purchased a Sony X900h tv.  Two issues the video lags the audio.  I have tried to change the audio settings on the Roku with limited success.   Changing the settings fixes it for a while but it always returns.   I also am seeing a random flashing green distortion on the video.  

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

For us the sound was ahead if the video.  We were able to use a sound delay on the TV to align the sound to the video.  That is considering we have the HDMI direct to the TV.  If we had it direct to our AVR, our AVR also has a delay to sync Audio and Video.  If you have no other issues (which I see you have a picture issue also), then you could look for an Audio adjustment to delay or increase the Audio so it syncs to the video.

0 Kudos
RJHIRSCH
Reel Rookie

Some Spectrum Channels have a Sync Issue between Audio and Video on New Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Just set up my new LG CX77 OLED tv with a new Roku Ultra player streaming Spectrum TV.  I am finding some channels have a long sync delay between audio and video where the audio is at least 30 secs ahead of the video. I have tried all video and audio settings on my tv, theater system and Roku with no success. I have also used my theater system for the audio and the internal tv speakers with same problem. I have an older Roku Ultra (No Dolby Vision) on another tv (Samsung vintage not smart 2010 TV) with no sync issues on any Spectrum channel. I put this Roku Ultra on my new LG and all channels are fine. I then put my new Roku Ultra on the old Samsung and it has the same sync issues so the problem is an issue between  some Spectrum channels and the New Ultra streaming player. Both Roku’s are running the latest software.  Note: I have tried running the audio in pass-thru mode and this corrects the sync issue but then the audio continuously pops in and out.

0 Kudos
RJHIRSCH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Switching to pass-thru fixed the audio/video sync issue but caused the audio to pop in and out. After power down and power up of the TV the audio is in sync and fine. Great find mackguyver. Thanks

0 Kudos
rpstar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I too had to move to pass through as the audio was way too low otherwise.  Now it's getting pops and occasional video freezes after ffwd.  Fix is pause, play again.  Trash.  I'll give them until the return window is closing and see if they fix it and otherwise just return it. Pretty inexcusable.  They should have tested this better. Shame on roku.

0 Kudos
Grexeno

Jump to solution

After my first day of use yesterday had no issues, today was plagued by constant, non-stop audio drops and glitches. Earlier today I attempted to watch Youtube, and it was unwatchable, with the audio cutting out every other second for a full second (ironically, it did not do this through headphones). Several other apps displayed less frequent, but still present, cut-outs. Just now it went back to disaster, cutting out constantly every few seconds.

0 Kudos