Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWT
Channel Surfer

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2 - ERROR 020

It sounds like you may have a bad Monoprice HDMI cable.  An additional troubleshooting step is to reconnect the old cables and check on the audio.  If back to normal, it would be an indication of a bad cable.  This can definitely be aggravating. 

I am having a similar issue with an over the sink light assembly in my kitchen.  I installed it last week, and it dims when the switch is turned on. So, I am not using the light until I can check the installation and switch.

0 Kudos
EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

Just adding my voice. Same intermittent HDCP errors on Roku Ultra. I normally see this when watching 4k streaming content, but last night it was even doing it on an old 480p resolution stream from Prime video. Happened about 10 times during the 1.5 hr movie. The audio rarely stops, but the pop-up HDCP error comes up. Sometimes I can actually make it through a whole movie without the error popping up. But that's rare.

I have swapped out 4 different cables. The cable that came with the Roku Ultra, one I had laying around, and then two more with specific 8k HDCP 2.2 ratings.

I am connecting the Roku Ultra to an Optoma P2 UST projector.

I love Roku products, but I had friends over to watch Boba Fett and it happed 4 times in the first 30 minute episode. I've ordered a competing streaming device to use until Roku can resolve this. I am convinced it is a flaw in the Roku device. I hope this can be solved with a firmware patch/OS update.

EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

I tried one more brand new 8k rated cable - fifth attempt with the Roku Ultra. Within 10 min I got an HDCP error. Very frustrating. I swapped the Roku out for a Chromecast to see if maybe it was the projector's problem. I had no problem with connectivity, but DIsney+ has audio sync issues on my Chromecast..., so after watching a couple shows without HDCP errors, I went back to the Roku Ultra. I really want Roku to work, but still getting intermittent HDCP 2.2 errors.

I purchased the Roku Ultra model 4800X in October - not even 3 months ago.

In desperation, I pulled out my older Roku 4. It's clearly slower getting through menus and stuff, but the 4k Disney+ worked flawlessly.  I watched 2 shows without an HDCP error, and frankly it looks WAY better than the ULTRA. Maybe with the HDCP issue I was only getting 1080p? I don't know, but I am convinced it's either firmware or a faulty component on the Roku Ultra. Maybe a recall on the Roku Ultra is in order. 

Is it just a handful of faulty devices? Or is this happening on all who try to use 4k/Dolby Atmos?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@EagleGeek my guess would be a faulty device. Unfortunately, it can happen with any electronic device. I have had an Ultra 4800 for a bit over a year now, and while I've seen an HDCP error on a a couple of occasions, it's extremely rare and would go away after a few seconds. I can't say when the last time I saw one. My Ultra connects to a Yamaha AVR (which is set in video passthrough mode), and then to an LG Nano85 TV. Both the AVR and TV support Dolby Vision, and I get DV without an issue. 

I am surprised you found the Roku 4 looking better than the 4800. The 4 does not support HDR, and I have found that HDR makes a far bigger difference/improvement in the video quality than simply being a 4K image. 

Do you have your TV correctly set on its HDMI port for a 4K signal? Different brands label it differently, but there should be a setting in your TV's settings to enable full 4K/HDR on each HDMI port. Samsung labels it UHD Color, while LG calls it HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color. Make sure it's enabled for the HDMI port your Roku uses. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
stromdriver
Binge Watcher

my ultra was new a year ago (upgraded from a previous ultra to be able to get full 4k hdr with hbo max like ww84 *rolleyes*) and even after brand new certified cables i'm still getting occasional error screens, i'm guessing it's a roku thing since it only started happening this fall, upgraded to 8k cables since my other 4k cables were like 3 years old.  connection is roku-denon avr-samsung qled display all are 4k hdr hdcp2.2 compliant

0 Kudos
Curlytx
Channel Surfer

Not sure if youve tried. In advanced display settings

1. turn off hdr always on

2. hdr subsampling ..set to 4.2.0

also under audio> digital output format >select passthrough

i think its possible these settings can affect your problem…if you find it does help, you can try 4.2.2 on subsampling, but other settings should always be turned off.. not sure why youd want   to force hdr on sdr content and up converted atmos sounds **bleep** …that is if you even have atmos capabilities…good luck!

0 Kudos
stromdriver
Binge Watcher

hdr is not set to always on, subsample is 4.2.2, and i had it on passthrough before but changed it to auto for troubleshooting, my receiver does do atmos

0 Kudos
EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

Post #3

I'm still trying to find a solution. I had another Roku Ultra (4640X) on a 1080p TV set, so I tried connecting that one to the Optoma Projector (4K, HDR, Atmos). I had to reset the audio a few times before it took, but then it played the first 4k HDR movie without displaying the HDCP 2.2 error.

When swapping back the Roku Ultra 4800X, it failed again in 10 min. 

I will keep the Roku Ultra 4640x in place for now and report if it also starts to fail. The problem may simply be a faulty 4800X device.

0 Kudos
Curlytx
Channel Surfer

Set it to 4.2.0 if youre having trouble with hdcp errors.. 

0 Kudos
Curlytx
Channel Surfer

If you still have issues try posting  Here