Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdicomp

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2 - ERROR 020

Same issue here. 2 Samsung UHD TVs. The 'older' one works fine with no HDCP error. The newer one keeps giving this error. I have tried the troubleshooting suggested by Roku, but the error persists. I am using the HDMI cable supplied with the 2020 Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
jjro75

Same issues here. I have a Vizio P series and have NO issues with my Xbox one x or Sony 4k Blu-ray player.  If I connect directly to my TV and ARC through my audio receiver then I don't get the HDCP error.  But, then this unit will not detect Dolby Atmos.  When I connect directly to my receiver it seems to detect everything as it should.  Then we get that obnoxious error code.  It seems like a brief glitch then the error pops up.  I have done all the troubleshooting and changed out the HDMI cables but it is clear that the problem is this inferior product.  I purchased this soon after it came out with nothing but trouble ever since.  I was hoping they would work out the bugs but they should have done so by now.  It is clear that the problem is with the player itself.  I owned the previous version of this unit and never had one issue.  Only bought this for Atmos.

0 Kudos
Logan5
Binge Watcher

Add one more.  I’ve had the 2020 Ultra for about a month or so, and it has been far more bug-ridden than any Roku I’ve owned before (which have generally been very reliable).  Just started getting this HDCP error in the last few days, and it keeps happening sporadically.  I just did the unplug, replug routine a few hours ago, and so far no reoccurrence, but we’ll see.

Just for reference, mine is plugged into the “Media Player’ input on a Marantz SR8015 receiver, going to a Sony X930E TV.  All cables are 18Gbps certified.

In addition to this new problem, I’ve already experienced frequent crashes during playback on a variety of apps.  Every time that happens, it crashes back to the main menu.

As a longtime Roku owner, this 2020 Ultra is a big disappointment.  It’s just not very stable at all.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Logan5 

Not seeing any of that with my 4800. I'm connected through a Yamaha AVR, and have never seen an HDCP error. That Marantz is an impressive AVR. Any chance it has a setting buried somewhere in a menu that needs to be set for full bandwidth, like my Yamaha does? On mine, it's hidden in a menu only available at power up. Without that particular setting, the HDMI ports do not pass the full 18 GHz bandwidth signal. Back when I got my first Ultra years ago I had HDCP issues until I changed that setting and replaced my HDMI cables. Sounds like your cables are fine, but that setting might be in there somewhere. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Curlytx
Channel Surfer

I was among the first post about this on here ...so i know how frustrating it its... surprisingly it settled down after jumping through all the required hoops and an update.

My setup sony z8h with yamaha rxa 2070 using 48gb hdmi cable.., but 18gb is fine 

in display settings, turn off 4.2.2, use 4.2.0, set always hdr to off, set audio to pass through instead of always atmos.. unplug the roku, disconnect hdmi cables from both ends wait 3 min . Reconnect cable and power on.. later on if it behaves you can go back to 4.2.2. But you shouldnt use hdr always on or upconverted atmos all the time..

i havent had this issue for a while now ... good luck 

0 Kudos
Paragon247

What Yamaha AVR do you have? 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Paragon247 are you asking me? You need to be specific when asking a question of someone and you haven't quoted the comment. 

I have two Yamaha AVRs: an RX-V583 and a RX-V679. The 679 is in my bedroom with a Samsung JU7100, Shield (2017) and Roku Ultra 4640. The 583 is in the family room with a LG NANO85, Shield (2019) and the Ultra 4800. I had to swap the AVRs because the LG supports Dolby Vision while the Samsung does not. Since both the '19 Shield and Ultra 4800 support DV, I needed the AVR to support it as well.  

Dan

0 Kudos
alan66

My older Samsung died and replaced it with a newer Samsung RU9000.  My Roku Ultra stopped working with HDCP Error.  I thought it was a cable problem and tried new cables, but it seems that the cable is not the problem.  After reading this thread, it seems the problem is the new TV's HDCP 2.2 support triggering the HDCP problem with the Roku Ultra.  I searched for Roku support, but until I read this thread, I didn't find any mention.  Probably being ditching the Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Make sure you’ve enabled UHD Color in the HDMI port(s) on your new Samsung TV. 

Dan

0 Kudos
smoran411
Reel Rookie

I purchased (3) Roku Ultra's and immediately started experiencing all of the same problems as other customers (HDCP 2.2 errors, black flashing screen, and audio cutting in and out). I spent weeks troubleshooting, changing settings, etc. I have a new LG OLED TV, and a new Yamaha VX-385 receiver as well. I contacted Roku support several times, and no matter what I told them, they kept advising me to check or replace the HDMI cables. I thought, how can all (3) Rokus have bad cables new out of the box. Come to find out, they were correct. They are all defective. I followed the advice and purchased Zeskit Certified 8K 48 Gbps HDMI cables and it worked. I don't know if Roku sent out incompatible cables, but if they did, they should have recalled the cables and sent out new ones to every customer. Thanks for the advice. 

0 Kudos