Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPPMN
Channel Surfer

New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2 - ERROR 020

I purchased the new 2020 Roku Ultra (4800R) this past week and immediately had issues with 4K playback. I either get a purple screen or get the error 020 message.

I can get the Roku to recognize 4K display in the settings. But the error message for HDCP 2.2 constantly pops up even after the display settings are set. The error message recommends unplugging power and HDMI to both the Roku and TV and restarting. Tried this multiple times, but no luck.

I tried changing various settings on the TV, but no luck. I plugged in my old Roku Ultra LT and immediately had 4K playback again.

I returned the new Roku Ultra to Best Buy and exchanged it for another just in case it was bad device, but I have the same problem with the second device.

I even tried lowering the Roku settings to 1080 and still got the HDCP 2.2 error 020 message. 

Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you resolve? 

#ERROR020, #PURPLESCREEN, #HDCP2.2ERROR

Labels (1)
54 REPLIES 54
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2 - ERROR 020

The first thing I'd try is a different HDMI cable. Also try a different HDMI jack in the TV. Make sure you're using a cable certified for 18 Gbps, as it's required for 4K/HDR, and Dolby Vision likely needs every Gbps available. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jeremyp1971
Binge Watcher

I solved my HDCP issues by buying 8K certified cables. I've only had my best luck so far with Zeskit cables from Amazon. Anything cheaper (even if 8K or HDMI 2.1) still produces either random flicker, noise/sparkles or HDCP errors.

SPPMN
Channel Surfer

New 8K HDMI cable didn't help.

0 Kudos
jeremyp1971
Binge Watcher

Can you give more info on your TV model and OS version, etc? 

0 Kudos
jeremyp1971
Binge Watcher

Looking at Sharp TV posts online, some apparently need firmware updates to support HDR, if at all, on anything other than a USB port (weird). 4K without HDR may work, but not necessarily all HDR settings. You should check to see if your TV truly is capable and enabled in settings for HDR (also referred to as Deep Color and Enhanced 4K settings 0n some TV's).

On advanced settings on the Roku Ultra 4800X, try setting HDR always on = Off, and make sure your HDR Subsampling is set at 4.2.0 and not 4.2.2, and both HDMI and audio are set to auto-passthrough.

0 Kudos
Plockman

I have  the exact same problem and the exact same errors. It’s an LG 65 inch 7700 4K TV. Old Roku ultra works great plug the new one in and I get the same errors. Changed HDMI cable to the one that came with the ultra no change. 

0 Kudos
erodam
Reel Rookie

I just bought an Ultra and am having the same HDCP error problems but they are sporadic.

I've switched over to the Streaming Stick+, I have both and just wanted Dolby Vision, and continued watching the show without a problem..."The Queen's Gambit"...Happened watching other shows/movies in DV as well. But when I switched back to the Ultra for the next episode it played just fine so it is with the Ultra and a sporadic problem.

I followed all the instructions for remedying this problem with no success. I haven't tried switching hdmi inputs yet but will today and retry again.

The Ultra is connected to the "Game" hdmi input on my Marantz SR5014...all hdmi inputs are hdcp 2.2+ compliant. My TV is a Sony 65/950G with the latest firmware.

I don't have this problem playing DV content directly from my TV.

I don't have this problem playing a 4K disk via my Panasonic 820...So it is the Ultra.

At this point I'm likely going to return the Ultra to Best Buy and try a Firestick for the DV.

Not going to spend $100 for a device that doesn't work correctly.

erodam
Reel Rookie

Returned the Ultra and bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick4K...playing DV content all weekend without a single problem and saved a lot of money.

Too bad Roku...you need to offer a more robust device especially at the price you are charging.

0 Kudos
Curlytx
Channel Surfer

Same deal as everyone else... roku ultra 2020 on a sony 4k tv tv using 8k 48gb certified hdmi cables... getting intermittent hdcp errors... roku recommended solution may work for a while but it come back and accessing the cables and power supplies for the fix is nothing short of a pia... whats up roku ? my appletv 4k doesnt have any hdcp errors?

i still have about two weeks on my return window which is how long ill wait for an update to fix this issue 

0 Kudos