Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmatthews27
Level 9

Netflix stutter/audio drop on Roku TV (4K content)

This topic has been marked as solved, so I'm starting a new one

I have Hisense Roku TV R55B7120UK. I'm getting intermittent Netflix buffering/stutter and audio drops when watching 4K content, which makes the Netflix channel completely unusable. Seems to happen with 4K HDR content only. No other streaming channels have the issue. 4K content in Disney+ or Prime Video are absolutely fine.

I can stream the same show/film through my Google Chromecast without issue. So it is systemic to the Netflix Roku channel.

I have run the Netflix speed test and am getting 34Mbps on a 5GHZ wireless network (router is directly under the TV) and just have simple fibre, so mesh network etc.

Please help.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
cmatthews27
Level 9

Re: Netflix stutter/audio drop on Roku TV (4K content)

Kicking myself for buying the Hisense Roku TV and buying into the Roku OS in that case.  I should have just opted for a non-Roku 4K HDR TV and bought a Google Chromecast Ultra. I have no issues whatsoever streaming any content through my Google Chromecast, but the Netflix channel on Roku is terrible.

At first I thought it was just 4K & HDR content. But last night watching The Last Kingdom, which is just HD, I had frequent audio drops and lag. So I switched to my Chromecast and all was well, no issues at all. Netflix is showing me 34Mbps - it can't be a bandwidth issue. Nightmare.

0 Kudos
cmatthews27
Level 9

Roku Support has confirmed it is Netflix's issue, not theirs. Below is the response from Roku. I have contacted Hisense (TV manufacturer - not their fault), Netflix (no response yet, probably not their fault as their service works on Google Chromecast) and Roku (most likely their fault, but accepting no responsibility)...

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Roku.

I understand that you are facing issues with Netflix while watching 4K content.

This could be caused by a temporary issue that the channel provider is experiencing and maybe resolved if you reinstalled the channel.

Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the same sequence as mentioned below and see if the issue can be resolved.

Remove channel (highlight the channel, push the 'star' button on the Roku remote and select the option  remove channel)
System update (home>settings>system>system update)
System restart (home>settings>system>system update)
 Reinstall the channel.

If the issue persists and it happens only with Netflix,please contact the channel partner.
Contact number of Netflix-866-716-0414

Please write back to us if you have any further questions. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Roku, have a great day!

0 Kudos
Amzz
Level 7

I'm having the same issue. Also with Starz and the Disney+ bundle through Hulu yet Hulu still working?? I've spent hours on this. I'm getting so pissed 

0 Kudos
Bogartan
Level 7

I just noticed audio dropout on Disney Plus yesterday (July 18, 2020). I haven't watched Netflix in the last few days, but Disney Plus audio was dropping out every 20-40 seconds - very annoying.

I have a Roku stick plugged into a Sony Bravia TV and hooked to Sony soundbar.

I solved the problem by setting Roku audio from "auto detect SDCC" to "Stereo PCM," but I'm not sure I like the sound quality this way.

Also, I tried using the * button on the remote and I don't see an option to Remove the Channel so that I can Reinstall it after a restart.  Will try again this afternoon.

0 Kudos