Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cspiby
Level 7

Netflix sound issues with an AVR

The Netflix app on my Roku Express uses DD+, for some reason thus causes distorted speech on the center channel, this is sometimes known as sibilance.

Playing the same program through either of my PlayStation consoles doesn't have the issue, the PS3 uses Dolby Digital and the PS4 uses PCM.

When changing the menu option on the Roku to DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS I only get Stereo sound from the Netflix app.

Is there any way to fix this?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Netflix sound issues with an AVR

How are you connected, is there an AVR, or are you feeding a soundbar? HDMI or optical audio? I don't notice any issues with my Ultra and 4, both which connect to Yamaha AVRs. I haven't used Netflix on my Stick recently, but that would only be using the TV audio so there's no center channel anyway.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cspiby
Level 7

I use a Pioneer VSX-920-k via HDMI.
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

You need a roku ultra(2016), apple tv, or amazon fire tv that converts dolby digital plus to dolby digital via optical.

If want to keep your Roku express you'll need a new receiver that properly decodes dolby digital plus.
0 Kudos
cspiby
Level 7

Will the Ultra transcode over HDMI too?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"cspiby" wrote:
Will the Ultra transcode over HDMI too?

The 2016 (4640) version of the Ultra does, but not the 2017 (4660) version. The quickest way to tell the difference is the 2017 version doesn't have an optical output. 
But your AVR supports Dolby Digital Plus, so there shouldn't be an issue with either Ultra version. I'm not familiar with the settings in your Pioneer, but I am wondering if perhaps you have a sound mode enabled that is messing with the sound. My Yamaha AVRs have a direct setting, so whatever codec it receives is what is sent out, with no alteration.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cspiby
Level 7

I have tried direct and pure direct and the issue persists.

Watching Plex now on the Roku with a DD (not plus) stream and its perfect.
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

"cspiby" wrote:
I have tried direct and pure direct and the issue persists.

Watching Plex now on the Roku with a DD (not plus) stream and its perfect.

Is this what you're hearing? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... -avrs.html

If so, then you have a receiver that has an older version of DD Plus. Dolby introduced a new version of DD Plus sometime around 2010/2011. If your receiver wasn't updated to the new codec, you'll always hear this type of distortion while streaming netflix, amazon, etc.
0 Kudos
cspiby
Level 7

The receiver is a 2010 model but how can they change the specification after device certification?

I've emailed pioneer to ask about a firmware update but don't hold out much hope.

I have connected the s/pdif cable from my TV and will have to use the built in netflix app for now as it sends it as regular Dolby digital.
0 Kudos
lisahart
Level 7

Hi.. I have same problem. did you use the adaptor for AV and plug into your receiver?  I am right now watching Netflix with cable box off and just using  TV speakers.. It's a boring. Please let me know. Thanks.  
0 Kudos