Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagicM
Level 8

Netflix doesn't show 5.1 is available

Jump to solution

Just recently purchased the newest Ultra and noticed that in Netflix on a show/movie overview screen it doesn't show that it's in 5.1.  Going to the audio options within the show/movie also doesn't show it's available.  If I play a show or movie it's not in surround sound.  The Netflix App on my Xbox does show that it's in 5.1 and does play with surround sound.  Both devices go thru an audio receiver. 

I know Netflix on Roku supports surround sound, so what could be the issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MagicM
Level 8

Re: Netflix doesn't show 5.1 is available

Jump to solution

Auto is set to Auto and reports "Dolby Digital/DTS".  Not "Dolby Digital+" or "Dolby Digital Plus/DTS".  I guess that means that the Xbox must be doing decoding when I use Netflix, etc. on it cuz I do get surround sound when I use the Xbox.

I tried changing the auto settings to the other options besides Auto with no luck.

Sounds like it might be time for a new AVR.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MagicM
Level 8

Jump to solution

I should have also mentioned that I'm not getting surround sound on any other channels as well (Amazon, Hulu, MoviesEverywhere, etc.).  I also confirmed volume mode is set to off.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

OK, so no volume modes is enabled? That's the first thing to check. (During playback of any content, press the * key on your Roku remote. Look for Volume Modes in the lefthand menu and turn these off.) Using this feature is not supported for multi-channel audio.

Another is if your AVR supports Dolby Digital+. If it does not, then all you can get is stereo. Most online sites now use DD+ as their audio codec. The original Ultra (model 4640) is the only Roku capable of concerting DD+ to standard DD. 

Check your audio settings in the Roku menu and make sure it's set correctly. If it's on Auto, it reports what it believes the AVR supports, and it's possible it is not detecting it accurately. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MagicM
Level 8

Jump to solution

Auto is set to Auto and reports "Dolby Digital/DTS".  Not "Dolby Digital+" or "Dolby Digital Plus/DTS".  I guess that means that the Xbox must be doing decoding when I use Netflix, etc. on it cuz I do get surround sound when I use the Xbox.

I tried changing the auto settings to the other options besides Auto with no luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@MagicM wrote:

I agree. Not a cheap fix, but that's probably the issue. And you can get AVRs that support DD+ for as little as a couple hundred $. A lot of money for some, I know. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MagicM
Level 8

Jump to solution

Now I'm not so sure it's the AVR.  I checked the specs and it says it supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio.

I tried the Netlix app that's on the AVR and it shows 5.1 in the show overview screen and in the audio settings for the show.  It also plays it in surround sound.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@MagicM During playback of content on your Roku device, press the * key on your Roku remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for Volume Mode and try turning this feature off. Does this resolve the issue? Volume modes aren't supported for use with Dolby/DTS multi-channel audio formats. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos