Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KP2
Level 7

Re: Netflix doesn't show 5.1 is available

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. The workaround was to buy a Amazon 4 K ultra fire stick and run Netflix on it. Select Dolby Digital + DTS on the audio setting. Netflix, Amazon Prime does play in Dolby Surround 5.1.

The Roku's Dolby Digital+ on my TCL Roku TV does not seem to work. There is no sound. Dolby Digital  DTS works but on Netflix the 5.1 doe not work. No rear speaker sound. Only the front stereo. Amazon Prime on Roku works well and we do get 5.1 Dolby Surround. I am going to return My Roku TV because of this.

0 Kudos
GeorgeG
Level 7

No 5.1 audio when watching Netflix

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem with a Roku 2 unit on Netflix. 5.1 audio was working fine for a couple of years with the unit, but on about January 24, 5.1 audio stopped working on this unit, and now I am getting glitches in the stereo audio. This Roku 2 unit works fine in 5.1 audio on the Disney channel.

My setup: Roku 2 (2720X) -> HDMI -> Vizio 32-inch TV -> optical cable -> Yamaha HTR 6230 surround-sound receiver.

Of course, I reset everything several times. The Roku software is updated to 9.2.0, as of December 12.

I also have a Roku Express for another setup, and that works OK in 5.1 on Netflix. But I prefer the Roku 2, since it the on-screen interface is cleaner and it doesn't interrupt the credits on shows and films.

Perhaps Roku can look into this and issue a software update to address the issue.

ClancyCat
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@MagicM During playback of content on your Roku device, press the * key on your Roku remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for Volume Mode and try turning this feature off. Does this resolve the issue? Volume modes aren't supported for use with Dolby/DTS multi-channel audio formats. 

Thanks,

Tanner

FWIW, pressing the * key doesn't launch any left-hand menu.  I've tried it repeatedly.

We also are unable to see any 5.1 content on NFLX through our Roku. We have a Denon that plays surroundsound without any issues in every other environment; nothing seems to address it.

It makes it incredibly hard for my husband to hear the dialogue due to hearing loss.  Such a shame.

CC

RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: No 5.1 audio when watching Netflix

Jump to solution

@GeorgeG Thanks for the note here. I took a look, and it doesn't appear that your receiver is capable of handling Dolby Digital Plus audio format, which is what the Netflix channel provides for surround sound audio. Your receiver specs can be found here: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/319985/HTR-6230_manual.pdf

Based on this, your receiver wouldn't be able to play surround sound audio directly from Netflix in it's native decoded format. Your receiver does however offer Dolby Pro-Logic decoding features, which takes stereo audio from input sources, and plays simulated surround sound through your speakers. I would recommend contacting Yamaha support directly for more information, and help adjusting the settings to enable this type of functionality. This may have been what you had been using previously, and somehow the settings became changed. You can get in touch with them here: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/contacts/audio_visual/

Channels that provide standard Dolby Digital 5.1 audio should play correctly in your current setup. 'The Roku Channel', for instance, provides standard Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. You could try using this channel to test content playback, and see if this works as expected. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@ClancyCat  The Roku 3 (model 4200) doesn't support Volume Modes, so that wouldn't be causing an issue in this instance. 

What model of Denon receiver are you using? Does it support Dolby Digital Plus audio decoding?

This is required in order to play surround sound audio, as Netflix supplies the Dolby Digital Plus audio format for surround sound in their channel. They do not provide standard Dolby Digital audio tracks.

In general, you'll also want to make sure that you have selected Auto in Settings>Audio>Audio mode in order for your device to provide any available audio format that is supported for your setup. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
ClancyCat
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@ClancyCat  The Roku 3 (model 4200) doesn't support Volume Modes, so that wouldn't be causing an issue in this instance. 

What model of Denon receiver are you using? Does it support Dolby Digital Plus audio decoding?

This is required in order to play surround sound audio, as Netflix supplies the Dolby Digital Plus audio format for surround sound in their channel. They do not provide standard Dolby Digital audio tracks.

In general, you'll also want to make sure that you have selected Auto in Settings>Audio>Audio mode in order for your device to provide any available audio format that is supported for your setup. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Hi, Tanner:

Thank you--you helped us solve it. After some banging and clanging around,we got the settings correct--the DD+/5.1 and sure 'nuff, finally, on Netflix it worked.  It's always been that way, of course, as long as we've had the Roku/NFLX, but it's only recently that my DH's hearing/tinnitus has gotten bad enough where that center channel is just crucial for him to be able to hear what's happening.  (Too bad I can't make that happen that magically with Hulu!  LOL.)

THANK YOU for that.  We appreciate it, @RokuTannerD .  Truly.

ClancyCat

GeorgeG
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Tanner:

Thanks for getting back to me about my Roku 2 unit. I would offer the following observations:

My Yamaha HTR-6230 is equipped with a front-panel display which graphically shows the audio format from the unit's digital input. If valid 5.1 audio is present on the SPDIF input, it will show 5 speakers, and 2 speakers for stereo, 1 for mono, etc. I am running the Yahama receiver in its "Straight" mode, which defeats any re-channeling.

Prior to about January 25, 2020 the Yamaha receiver showed and played valid 5.1 digital audio from Netflix, when connected to my Roku 2 unit. It had worked fine that way for over 3 years. After that date, it shows stereo only, and the audio has noticeable periodic glitches (pops). On the Disney Plus Channel 5.1 audio is indicated as valid and plays properly on the Roku 2 with the identical setup. The Roku Channel also works OK.

I bought a Roku Express unit for another TV and and tried connecting it to my setup with the Yahama receiver, and valid 5.1 audio shows on the Yamaha's display and plays OK from Netflix. Recapping: Roku 2 now does not work in 5.1 on Netflix, Roku Express does.

Here is an article about Netflix upgrading its streaming audio format.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/post-and-broadcast/netflix-unveils-audio-streaming-improvements

So my contention is that Netflix changed their digital surround audio protocol in a way became incompatible with the software on the Roku 2. I realize that it is an older unit that has been replaced by newer Roku models, but perhaps Roku could provide a software update for the Roku 2. I just did another system update on the Roku 2, and it updated NBC, the CW, Filmrise, and Pluto, but the problem with Netflix persists.

By the way, I work as a professional audio engineer, and have mixed numerous 5.1 surround productions of music shows for public TV. So I think I know my 5.1, and the difference between simulated (Pro Logic) and real 5.1 audio.

Thanks,
George

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GeorgeG wrote:

Hello Tanner:

Thanks for getting back to me about my Roku 2 unit. I would offer the following observations:

My Yamaha HTR-6230 is equipped with a front-panel display which graphically shows the audio format from the unit's digital input. If valid 5.1 audio is present on the SPDIF input, it will show 5 speakers, and 2 speakers for stereo, 1 for mono, etc. I am running the Yahama receiver in its "Straight" mode, which defeats any re-channeling.

Prior to about January 25, 2020 the Yamaha receiver showed and played valid 5.1 digital audio from Netflix, when connected to my Roku 2 unit. It had worked fine that way for over 3 years. After that date, it shows stereo only, and the audio has noticeable periodic glitches (pops). On the Disney Plus Channel 5.1 audio is indicated as valid and plays properly on the Roku 2 with the identical setup. The Roku Channel also works OK.

I bought a Roku Express unit for another TV and and tried connecting it to my setup with the Yahama receiver, and valid 5.1 audio shows on the Yamaha's display and plays OK from Netflix. Recapping: Roku 2 now does not work in 5.1 on Netflix, Roku Express does.

Here is an article about Netflix upgrading its streaming audio format.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/post-and-broadcast/netflix-unveils-audio-streaming-improvements

So my contention is that Netflix changed their digital surround audio protocol in a way became incompatible with the software on the Roku 2. I realize that it is an older unit that has been replaced by newer Roku models, but perhaps Roku could provide a software update for the Roku 2. I just did another system update on the Roku 2, and it updated NBC, the CW, Filmrise, and Pluto, but the problem with Netflix persists.

By the way, I work as a professional audio engineer, and have mixed numerous 5.1 surround productions of music shows for public TV. So I think I know my 5.1, and the difference between simulated (Pro Logic) and real 5.1 audio.

Thanks,
George

Hi George. It will depend on which Roku 2 you have, if an update might be possible. There are 5 different models that have Roku 2 as their name, sometimes with a two letter suffix. And to my knowledge, only one of them is still supported with updates. So unless you have the model 4210, it's unlikely you'll receive any further updates for that particular player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@GeorgeG  Thanks for the added details here. Could you please generate a new issue tracker report ID after this occurs next by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote? 

Please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About, the tracker ID you generated, the name of the test content you were trying to play inside the Netflix channel, your current audio settings in Settings>Audio, and recap your TV and A/V receiver model information. I will help pass this along to the team to take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
GerardoHDZ
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi,  here is my 2 cents of today for you guys. This is my setup: TCL 50S421 with embedded Roku TV C124 -> Sony 6.1 receiver STR-DE598 using optical fiber cable. Under this setup Netflix wasn’t showing the 5.1 option. I went into my TV user guide and I read that this particular TV only auto-sense my receiver capabilities over HDMI only,  not over coax nor fiber. My receiver does not provide HDMI capabilities so my only option that worked is telling the TV the receiver capabilities directly without auto-sensing (my sugestión for you is to look over your user guide to seek where in the settings you can tweak this) and TA-DA... Netflix began to show up the 5.1 options on the tittles and my receiver was reproducing with the correct surround decoder. The only drawback is that for non surround content you have to tell manually Roku to switch back to Stereo otherwise upgrade your receiver to one with HDMI capabilities..

0 Kudos