Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naawan
Level 7

Netflix dobly atmos on Roku4

How do i setup my Roku 4 to watch movies in Netflix on Dolby Atmos.  Netflix support helped me setup my Netflix account to be able to watch in Dolby Atmos, but I'm getting 5.1.  The movie that is played by Netflix in Atmos is Teenage Bounty Hunters, but I'm getting 5.1. Dolby Atmos is not one of the audio options for Teenage Bounty Hunters on my unit, but Netflix supports said that it is being played in Dolby Atmos. I'm able to listen to Dolby Atmos with Disney+. Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andyross
Level 16

Re: Netflix dobly atmos on Roku4

I'm not sure if the Roku 4 supports Atmos. I think only the newer models can pass it on. Does your receiver or whatever at least show it's DD+? If it's only coming in as plain DD 5.1, then it's being converted at some point.

0 Kudos
naawan
Level 7

I'm sure Roku 4 supports Atmos because I'm able to watch Star Wars movies with my Disney+ subscription.  All Star Wars movies are played on Atmos at Disney+.  When I watch any Star Wars movie in Disney+, my receiver displays "Dolby Atmos". When I watch any movie in Netflix, my receiver displays "Dolby Digital". My dad has a new 65" 4K Westinghouse TV with pre-loaded Netflix app and I was able to watch Netflix in Atmos.  Except, I was not hearing a true Atmos sound because the sound was coming from the tv speakers.  Perhaps, Netflix's Atmos platform is not compatible with Roku 4.  I'll invest to the newest Roku model and hopefully that will resolve my issue.  Somehow, Roku4 is not "reading"  Netflix's Dolby Atmos format.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

@naawan wrote:

How do i setup my Roku 4 to watch movies in Netflix on Dolby Atmos. 

Check to see if your Roku 4 has updated to Roku OS Version 10. My 2017 TCL Roku TV updated to Version 10 and the Netflix app updated after a restart to a new version. After this, ATMOS audio is now supported on the Netflix app. You may get the same result with the Roku 4.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos