Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

NEW MEDIA PLAYER NO LONGER PLAYING MEDIA FROM DLNA

Since the upgrade to the new Media Player, my video files no longer play from the DLNA source.

Server is displayed, files are displayed with thumbnails but when selecting "play" Roku churns on "Retrieving" for a while and returns to (Press to) "Play" screen.

ROKU has played on these files for years.

All files are H264, MP4 videos.

All worked literally until Thursday of this week.

I tried playing a file I had viewed on Thursday night, same result.

Current software version is 9.3.0 - build 4179-51 

13 Replies
Level 7

Re: NEW MEDIA PLAYER NO LONGER PLAYING MEDIA FROM DLNA

• Same thing happened to me but on a USB thumb drive instead of server. After the update I get "no compatible videos found" and the only difference is that the media player app automatically updated. Is there a way to downgrade?

Edit: after I reset my Roku it started working with the USB, but DLNA still does not work

App version is 5.1 build 3

I have a Roku Express+ and the same thing started happening.

Videos used to play just fine from a DLNA server and now I hear the audio but the video is just lines on the screen.

Level 8

No longer works for me, with same described issue - message displayed: "No compatible videos found in". 

I can see the file structure, and all the files, but none of them will play (and all played with the older version of software)

Version 5.1, Build 3

I am new to this board.  Is it active with Roku employee participation to solve issues, or is this just for users to guess solutions, and 'self-help'?

Level 21

It's mostly self-help.  There are two Roku moderators that routinely reply to some questions/issues. but they've been silent on the RMP update.  Look around and you'll see lots and lots of RMP issues mentioned in various threads.

Level 7

Let me get this straight . . .

In the entire ROKU universe, only three users view media from a DLNA or USB source?

Seems unlikely.

Either that or only 3 users have a problem and all others are able to continue accessing media on these external devices.

Seems more unlikely.

To any ROKU technical staff reviewing this forum.

You have a vast "free" network of test subjects using your devices and firmware daily.

They are well-suited and it is in their best interest to alert you to misprogrammed "DO or IF/THEN/ELSE loops". (Sorry, my COBAL and FORTRAN IV experience is peeking out)

Please have a look and the code pertaining to DLNA and USB and other external devices addressed by the "Media Player" app within the ROKU.

Something is amiss.

I use the Roku media player on other TVs, they are working fine. The problem is with an older TV, it would appear that the resolution is too low with the updated app.

It used to work fine until the app updated.

Level 8

I spent a couple of hours reading various boards last night and solved my problem.

First, I downloaded Plex.  Simple, straightforward, and intuitive enough my wife can use it.

Secondly, I downloaded PlayOn, as some of my files are MKV that Plex didn't like.  Not as graphically pretty, but works like a charm for those files that Plex wouldn't launch.

(and to be clear, I downloaded the programs to my computer, and added the app on my Roku unit)

My preference would have been to stay within the Roku ecosystem, but I just want something simple that works, not to learn to trouble shoot and become a developer.

Good luck to you all...

Level 13

@WRXFiles wrote:

I spent a couple of hours reading various boards last night and solved my problem.

First, I downloaded Plex.  Simple, straightforward, and intuitive enough my wife can use it.

Secondly, I downloaded PlayOn, as some of my files are MKV that Plex didn't like.  Not as graphically pretty, but works like a charm for those files that Plex wouldn't launch.

You might also investigate handbrake to convert file formats.  Plex should handle mkvs in general but perhaps not some of the encodings they might contain.

Level 7

Not used Media player before, but have 4640X Ultra with 9.3.0 build 4194-29 that usually won't play .MOV files in a large folder (50+) from DLNA server (PC).  Cut one down to 41 files but no success.  I see the file, click on it, gives the file description as quicktime file, but click play and it tries to start but comes back to 'Play' button.  Once in a while a file does play (not consistant) one time, but cannot play it a second time, and if  stop it, it will not restart.