Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

NETFLIX and Dolby Sound

Jump to solution

Hello - 

I have a Denon AVR S700W, Roku 3810 Streaming Stick+ and a non-Netflix compliant app Samsung Smart TV pre 2016 for our home theatre.  I also have a new TCL smart TV with Dolby 5.1, and Netflix,  works great.

Sound quality on Netflix is terrible compared to the local cable tv or satellite tv providers I came from.  I have always used Dolby digital sound with my Denon surround system and play the video only on the Samsung. Sounds great.

Netflix premium provides Dolby but all I'm seeing from the source signal is PCM. Roku stick is plugged into the Cable/Sat HDMI port (tried other HDMI ports, same result). No Dolby signal from Roku/Netflix. I've tried tried multiple settings. Roku channel plays Dolby just fine, Dolby signal and Dolby sound.

Any suggestions? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: NETFLIX and Dolby Sound

Jump to solution

For all those with an AVR and using Roku 3810 with Denon and Netflix Premium.  

To get DD+(5.1) to show up on Netflix you must 1) have premium service, and 2) login to NF/youraccount page using a computer, go to your profile, playback settings, and select HIGH (not auto) data useage then SAVE.  5.1 Dolby Digital Plus will pop right up. 

I spent hours trying to figure this out. NF is not useful at all on chat, its a waste of ur time.  Call NF for help.

Bottom line, if you have the Roku 3810, an AVR that supports HDMI, DD+, and NF Prem, you can get 5.1 Dolby. I hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

For all those with an AVR and using Roku 3810 with Denon and Netflix Premium.  

To get DD+(5.1) to show up on Netflix you must 1) have premium service, and 2) login to NF/youraccount page using a computer, go to your profile, playback settings, and select HIGH (not auto) data useage then SAVE.  5.1 Dolby Digital Plus will pop right up. 

I spent hours trying to figure this out. NF is not useful at all on chat, its a waste of ur time.  Call NF for help.

Bottom line, if you have the Roku 3810, an AVR that supports HDMI, DD+, and NF Prem, you can get 5.1 Dolby. I hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

You do NOT need to pay extra for premium to get DD+. I have just the standard plan, and get DD+. I don't even think you need to force HIGH unless you have a slow Internet connection and want to force it. Also, did you check the Audio settings on the Roku? The normal setting is Auto, but you may need to force it if it has trouble detecting the capabilities of your AVR.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

You are correct about not requiring Premium NF to receive 5.1. But their help tells a different story. This led me to think I needed premium. There's Basic, Standard and Premium plans on NF. I think their help page is misleading, and the Chat person told me I needed to select premium. 

What do I need to stream with Dolby Atmos audio?

• A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

• A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan

I've set everything to Auto on my end, BUT, needed to force High data useage on the NF end. Once I did that 5.1 showed up. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

You need Premium for 4K. Standard is limited to 1080p. I'm not sure if Atmos is limited to 4K only or not. You should be able to get standard DD 5.1 or DD+ 5.1 with any plan.

0 Kudos