Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BRocker43
Channel Surfer

Re: My new Roku Ultra keeps losing its HDMI connection to my TV

Jump to solution

Thanks for the thorough walk-through of the problem.  I think you're on the path to getting a solution.  I still can't understand why a Roku rep has not yet stepped in and admitted there might be a problem in their design/engineering/manufacturing process that has led so many of us to report this problem.  Simply replugging/reversing/swapping the HDMI cable does not do it in most cases and, even if it did, do we all want a product that loses connectivity randomly whenever it feels like it, forcing us to go through these steps?  Roku makes a good product in general and it is not in their interest to leave so many of us hanging.  What say, Roku?

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BRocker43 wrote:

Thanks for the thorough walk-through of the problem.  I think you're on the path to getting a solution.  I still can't understand why a Roku rep has not yet stepped in and admitted there might be a problem in their design/engineering/manufacturing process that has led so many of us to report this problem.  Simply replugging/reversing/swapping the HDMI cable does not do it in most cases and, even if it did, do we all want a product that loses connectivity randomly whenever it feels like it, forcing us to go through these steps?  Roku makes a good product in general and it is not in their interest to leave so many of us hanging.  What say, Roku?

Mostly because this is a Roku-provided user-2-user support board (with limited Roku employee presence, and they arent software/product engineers).

You need to report the problems directly to Roku if you want resolution (and the more users reporting the same problem, the more likely/sooner it gets fixed, if ever):

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

nconklin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Turns out my theories were wrong.  I found a different HDMI and cable and swapped it.  It has had stability for over 24 hours now.  I guess it really depends on the quality/capability of the HDMI cable.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@nconklin wrote:

Turns out my theories were wrong.  I found a different HDMI and cable and swapped it.  It has had stability for over 24 hours now.  I guess it really depends on the quality/capability of the HDMI cable.

I've had to swap out several HDMI cables over the years that had "gone bad", and upon further testing all of them worked perfectly fine in some products/ports, but not with others (or just not with one particular product/port) - such are the vagaries of HDMI...

Lokjaws
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with 2 ROKU Ultra’s and my Visio TV. The fix was going into the ROKU Ultra advanced video settings and changing from Auto Detect display type to 4K HDR TV. Never lost the signal after that. 

for some reason the ROKU thinks my TV is compatible with Dolby vision and selects that type when it’s in AUTO. But that leads to a No input and a blank screen  

BRocker43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It sounds like you found the answer.  I'll be making those changes and I'll see how it works out.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lokjaws
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another point of data, my Visio has a setting called HDMI ULTRA Deep Color. It can be turned on/off for each HDMI input. When I couldn’t even get the roku screen to display long enough to change the display type, I was able to toggle that setting off, and the ROKU screen came back. It gave me a few minutes to force the roku into 4K HDR and all has been well since. 

VTGrandma

Jump to solution

So grateful for this forum and this user advice. It’s working for me, too. Hopefully it’ll be our permanent fix. Maybe ROKU should post this instead of annoying, generic and useless information. 

Lokjaws
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Quick update: The 4K TV setting instead of 4K HDR TV is also stable with no issues since I posted this solution. Happy watching. 

Spookiec47
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

These products come with a cable. Guess it’s junk? I’ve replaced mine still doing it.

0 Kudos