Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BRocker43
Channel Surfer

My new Roku Ultra keeps losing its HDMI connection to my TV

Jump to solution

This is a nice addition to the Roku lineup but it has a major flaw.  Once it started happening to me, I checked the internet and found out that quite a few others are having similar problems.  About 1/3 of the time when I turn on my TV and Roku, it indicates there is no signal to the TV.  The various fixes suggested for this involve connecting to other TV  HDMI inputs, swapping in new HDMI cables, reversing those HDMI cables, and cleaning the contacts on the HDMI cables and the HDMI plugs on both ends.  I can certify that none of these work reliably and, if they do at first, the problem will shortly recur.  Based on my and other users' experiences, it appears clear to me that the problem is either in the Roku's HDMI plug or the associated wiring/firmware/components.  The only way I've found to restore the signal consistently is to power down the Roku and it will make the connection instantly as soon as the Roku reboots.  I've seen Roku reps continuing to give the same advice to others who notice the problem and I've seen no signs that they are investigating it as a design or manufacturing problem.  This is the only Roku I've had with this problem and I've owned about eight up to now.  I'm not sure what to do, but my next step will be to specifically contact Roku, if they don't respond to this, and try for a replacement unit (or two - I have another I bought at the same time that I don't use much but may have the same problem when that happens.  I'll swap the two I have and see what happens next.)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lokjaws
Channel Surfer

Re: My new Roku Ultra keeps losing its HDMI connection to my TV

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with 2 ROKU Ultra’s and my Visio TV. The fix was going into the ROKU Ultra advanced video settings and changing from Auto Detect display type to 4K HDR TV. Never lost the signal after that. 

for some reason the ROKU thinks my TV is compatible with Dolby vision and selects that type when it’s in AUTO. But that leads to a No input and a blank screen  

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
miketx
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having a similar problem with all of my Roku Streaming + sticks.   I have 3 of them, on 3 different brand TVs, and at least once a week...when I turn it on, the screen will be blank.   I can use the remote and hear the Roku clicking around the menu, but nothing appears on the screen.

Sometimes I can choose a random Roku app to start (since I can't see anything on the screen).  The app will start, the screen works, and then I can hit the "Home" button and the Home screen appears.   But sometimes even that doesn't work.   If I power cycle the Roku, it boots up fine and the screen works again.

Since it is 3 different brand TVs having this problem, it is definitely a Roku HW or SW bug.

Jump to solution

I too have experienced this problem to no avail. My fire stick works fine but I prefer Roku. Any response from Roku on replacing your device? Has to be a manufacturer issue. 

miketx
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I haven't contacted Roku directly regarding this issue, except for this posting, which I hoped would gather some attention.   To me (a retired electrical/software engineer), this seems like either a HW or SW issue, and it's consistent across all my Roku streaming sticks, so it has to be happening to many other people also.  Even if its a hardware problem, I'll bet a software patch could be implemented that would fix it.

JHawk

Jump to solution

I too have this problem. I just hooked up my new Premiere Roku & even durning set up video would cut in & out, and still durning watching will cut out or totally loose connection, this happens in the home screen as well in any app. This unit is brand new & newly updated it is unwatchable. Im at the point to give up & return it.  

BRocker43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As the original poster, I'd like to add that my problems continue (i.e., "no signal" coming from the HDMI Roku output).  It's not as frequent but I've swapped out all of the components and cables,  and still the only solution is to unplug the Roku and let it restart, and then it will hold the signal for a few days or more.  I can't believe that Roku has not dealt with this problem yet.

svogel

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku Ultra.  I've found that when I use the "up volume" button on the Roku remote, the HDMI output to the TV stops. Power indicator on the Roku Ultra is still on. The TV then shows "no signal" on HDMI2.  If I press "up volume" again, the signal and the picture returns.  This does not just happen with the Roku remote, the same thing happens with the "up volume" button on the TV remote.  So I know that this is not an issue with the Roku remote, or TV remote, it's an issue with how the Roku device is interpreting the "up volume" signal from either remote.  So seems likely to be a software issue.  The TV brand that I have is "Insignia", if that is helpful.

BRocker43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think I was one of the first to report this problem.  All I can add is that my problem very slowly got better and now it rarely recurs.  I assumed that Roku found a fix and included it in one of the updates, but given that you're having the exact same problem now, my assumption may not be correct.  Could a Roku rep please weigh in on this exchange and let all of us know what is being done?  The only other thing I can think of is that whatever part is the culprit (possibly the Roku connector itself) has now made a solid connection just from being plugged into/unplugged over all of my attempts to resolve the problem.

Ranger54

Jump to solution

Curious if anybody from Roku responded. I am having the same problem. I followed the on screen instructions and it corrects the issue temporarily. I have also replaced the HDMI cable and swapped devices putting an Infinity Flex on the new HDMI cable for a few weeks with no issue. Reinstalled the Ultra and the problem returned. 

nconklin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have 2x Rokus that have this problem.  It appears that it has creeped in over time (over the last 6 months).  They are on two different televisions, using different HDMI connections/cables.  Unplugging and replugging the cable can fix it.  Performing a software reboot of the Roku can fix it.  Performing a hardware power unplug/cold boot can fix the problem.  It seems to be software related, almost like the HDMI driver gets into a state of confusion.  That is because it will attempt to renegotiate the connection.  Signal can go in and out.  It even appears to be resource related.  If I pause my YouTube video (basically freezing the display) then the Roku will recover the HDMI display.  But if the video keeps going then the HDMI connection will continue to blink in and out.

Device: Roku Premiere+
Software Version 9.4.0 * build 4200-29