Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay198216
Level 7

My Roku is starting to overheating

Jump to solution

I've had my Roku streaming stick for several years now. It has been in the same place, in the same TV and it hasn't had any issues. A few days ago it gave me a low power warning (this has never happened before), and now it's starting to overheat within a few minutes. It's plugged directly into the TV, but the TV never gets warm and there is plenty of air flow. It even overheats when I just have the USB plugged in and not the Roku itself. Is it just time to replace my Roku?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku is starting to overheating

Jump to solution

Hi @jay198216,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the follow-up.

Our support team responded via email recently. Please check your email from our support team, they will be assisting you from there. 

Kind regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jay198216,

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are receiving an error message of "Low power" with overheating issue.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.
For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your ...

We would also recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding the " Low power " error message: What should I do if the red light is flashing or I see a ...
I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website at https://my.roku.com/HDMI and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Let us know how it goes! We're hoping this will work for you.

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
jay198216
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have tested the Roku using an external power source, with extension, from a different HDMI port, and it is still reaching temperatures of over 100C (over 200F). This is with only about 10-15 minutes of use.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jay198216,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing an update.

Kindly provide us the serial number of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About.

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
jay198216
Level 7

Jump to solution

The serial number is YF001M298883

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jay198216,

Thanks for reaching out and providing me with your information.
I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.
Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
jay198216
Level 7

Jump to solution

Support team still hasn't contacted me. I was mailed a new extension cord but it didn't even function. Still overheats even if just the USB cord is plugged in (even tried multiple cords). Is it just time to buy a new Roku?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jay198216,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the follow-up.

Our support team responded via email recently. Please check your email from our support team, they will be assisting you from there. 

Kind regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
DavidMill
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Roku is overheating.  Repeated messages.   I'm very concerned about potential fire. 

This unit is fairly new.   Dissatisfied customer.

[personal information]

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @DavidMill

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you tried all the suggestions provided in this Support article: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning? If so and the issue persisted, please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos