Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rococo0702
Reel Rookie

My Roku Ultra keeps restarting

I have owned this particular Roku for about a year and a half. For several days now, my Roku Uktra has been restarting multiple times a day for no reason.  It has done it with several channels that I watch fairly frequently. I have noticed two different ways it does this. One is the sound will cut out, then it will freeze, then it will reboot. The second happens sometimes while unpausing it. The screen will go black then it will reboot. I have tried just about everything that I can think off to fix it. Is there a potential fix that I am missing?  

The model is 4660RW - Roku Ultra. The software version is 9.3.0 build 4150-46. 

0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku Ultra keeps restarting

When did your system update to version 9.3? Does it coincide with the beginning of this behavior?
Settings > System > System update will tell you when the system was updated.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rococo0702
Reel Rookie

It says it updated today at 6:53 pm. I have definitely had the problem for at least two full days. Since I posted the original post it has restarted 4 times with the interval between being about 30-45 min. I’m currently watching the CuriosityStream channel if that helps. It has also done it when watching YouTube and Hulu. 

0 Kudos
NJB
Reel Rookie

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I've been having the same issue for a few weeks now and am considering trashing the device for something new at this point. It does it the most when I'm on YouTube but it will occasionally do it with HBO Go and Netflix. It took me an hour to get through a 40 min episode today because it kept restarting.

RobW
Channel Surfer

I am getting this symptom with a brand new Roku Ultra in December 2020. Roku support is virually non existent. I dont know if I have a bad device or bad software. I am leaning towards the former.

NJB
Reel Rookie

Seeing as you're the only reply since I posted this in June, I'll be doing some research to get something else and step away from this brand. Good luck to you!

MKH1

I'm getting same symtoms with new Ultra that I just got in last few weeks. Sometimes it will drop back to home when I start an app. Other times it is just at a blank home screen with no apps (just a purple screen) and frozen when I switch to it, then reboots if I wait about 20 seconds. When I left it on screensaver for about an hour and walked in the room it just suddenly rebooted. I had done nothing. 

@RobW wrote:

I am getting this symptom with a brand new Roku Ultra in December 2020. Roku support is virually non existent. I dont know if I have a bad device or bad software. I am leaning towards the former.

0 Kudos
Vaper

There was a software update yesterday that may have brought this on. I also have a new Roku ultra 2020 with the same problem. I wonder if anyone from roku monitors these message boards.

0 Kudos
RobW
Channel Surfer

One would hope they monitor the forum if they are smart. Roku support was basically useless. After several days, almost a week, and some terse chat conversations they offered an RMA. We bought it on Amazon which was a much much easier process including immediately sending a replacement and free easy shipping. What I am suspicious of is a systemic problem and a replacement unit will not fix it. Stay tuned.

Maggie1069

Our Roku ultra drops off despite master reset, software updates.  We have tried any trick out there but the problem persists.  We had an older Roku 2 and it has zero issues so it would seem it’s an ultra issue only.

0 Kudos