Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emistjohn
Reel Rookie

My Roku Channel app keeps skipping between scenes on a tv show

I’m trying to watch a show on my Roku channel app on both my tv and my phone, but it keeps skipping between scenes, sometimes up to twenty minutes ahead or behind. I’ve tried resetting the tv, unplugging it, and deleting the channel and adding it back, but no matter what it keeps doing it. What should I do? 

5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: My Roku Channel app keeps skipping between scenes on a tv show

You didnt mention your Roku TV model # and firmware version: Settings/System/About

1) Make sure your firmware (and ad serving components) is updated: 

Settings/System/System update/Check now

2)  If the exact same "skipping" (same minute/second on a TV show/movie) is happening on both your Roku TV and your The Roku Channel mobile app, that suggests a content issue itself - you need to contact Roku directly about it:

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose Setup/Roku TV/Other/Need more help?)

3)  If however the skipping is happening more randomly at different places for each device/for one device, that suggests a playback problem on the device itself - you should try reinstalling the app (in the correct order):

Re-install the TRC app:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/Power/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the TRC app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

4)  Otherwise, try rebooting your modem/router/gateway (and make sure any ad/malware/etc filters are turned off in its settings).

emistjohn
Reel Rookie

This didn’t work… 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@emistjohn 

You werent really specific as to what "didnt work"  - there were several things to check/try/do.

0 Kudos
Mueller

Same! It mostly just happens with movies, but so bad I can't even understand what's going on. Super frustrating. My Roku is brand new.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mueller,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We'd like to investigate and try to help.

Are all other streaming channels playing content normally? Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play in The Roku Channel that is experiencing an issue so we can help investigate this further.

As a first step, try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos