Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joecreed28
Level 7

Multiple Rokus stopped working within the past 48 hours

Jump to solution

Within the past 48 hours I have had a Roku2, two Roku 3s, and a Roku stick stop working.  All they do is go to the Roku toe tapping K screen and just stay there.  About twice since this all started happening (After about a combined 20 soft and hard resets), the Roku player finally made it to the home screen but then within 10 minutes it'd kick off and go back to that same Roku loading screen.  I originally thought it was just the Roku 2 being older, until I found out my parent's Roku 3 was having the same issue, and then I started using another Rokue 3 and a stick and the same thing happened.  Is this update related?  Is there anything I can do to get around this or do I have 4 devices that are worthless now?  I don't care, I just need to know if I need to buy a different brand of streamer or not.  Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Multiple Rokus stopped working within the past 48 hours

Jump to solution
Hi everyone,

We have an update to share. Please follow the steps outlined here to help update your device:
https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

This should help get things back on track. Please let us know if you are still encountering an issue after performing a system update.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
underdogmn
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with my stick. Just started happening today for me.

0 Kudos
Nobs
Level 7

Jump to solution
I was just told by an arab sounding man on the supposed customer service line that I need to pay $80 to reactivate mine due to roku moving all services to the cloud. I am resetting and reactivating now. After seeing what mine did and the phone call I had I feel as though Roku has been hacked and there is someone getting payment info to rip off Roku customers. I’ve not heard, read, or been contacted in any way that Roku was shutting down service and charging to reactivate. I would think that would have made international news.
0 Kudos
rick505
Level 7

Jump to solution

I noticed my Ultra had a software update earlier this evening.  Perhaps your devices are having an issue with updates causing the issues.

0 Kudos
hired_goon
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem here.  I have two Roku 2 and one Roku 3.  All are stopping at the boot up screen.  I also have one Roku smart tv (Vizio) which does not seem to be experiencing the problem. 

0 Kudos
hired_goon
Level 7

Jump to solution

OK, just called the support number and heard a recorded message about a known issue involving a Nintendo Switch and the new Pokemon game.  A light bulb went on when I realized my son had just got the game.  I followed their instructions for a workaround and put our Nintendo Switch in Airplane mode.  That did the trick!  They are still working on a fix.  

PDX_Life
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having the same issue with my Roku 3. The screen is frozen at the Roku boot up with the logo dancing along to the continuous jingle loop. 

I don't have a Nintendo Switch or Pokemon game. But the new Disney+ channel was recently installed.

0 Kudos
RockyM
Level 8

Jump to solution

Holy **bleep**!!!  I have been having trouble with my Streaming Stick 3500x all weekend.  I have hard resetted and re setup the Roku about 5 times now.  My trouble started Friday evening and I also started playing the new Pokemon game on my Switch and Switch lite. 

My stick had just rebooted again and got stuck on the dancing letters.  I pulled the plug and came here and saw your post.  I had the Pokemon game going when this happened.  I quit the game and then put the Switch to sleep and the Roku just now booted up normally again.

What the **bleep** is this?  I don't get how this can happen at all.  And hopefully a fix will release soon.

balajiraman
Level 7

Jump to solution

The Kids have been playing this for the past day, today afternoon while watching Amazon Prime, I saw issues related to not able to auto play next episode (Roku Stuck), rebooted and it was playing the next episode. However, the stuck happen while playing a video, when i rebooted went into a boot loop. 

I turned the Switch Airplane mode on and was able to boot up the Roku.

Game referenced: Pokemon Sword/Shield Game, released 11/15/2019.

0 Kudos
Lisa6
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing here.. tested out the theory with the Switch/Pokémon game.  My son got the game Friday and that when our 2 Roku streaming sticks stopped working.  We have another Roku (unsure of the model) and that seems to be unaffected.  The streaming sticks are older.   Had my son put his Stitch in airplane mode - and the Roku fired up.  He switched it back to wifi and the stick seems to still be working,   I hope there is a permanent fix to this or there will be fights amongst siblings 

0 Kudos