Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texark
Reel Rookie

Movie seems to load but won't play

A number of old movies like Gaslight will appear to load and the analog bar will fill completely with blue color but it would just sit there and never begin. It doesn't go back to the other screen it just sits there with a full line or bar as though the movie loaded but it won't start? Can you help please?

8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Movie seems to load but won't play

On which Roku channel app are you trying to view these movies?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Texark
Reel Rookie

Hi makaiguy,

Thanks for asking, I hope this is the right answer...

It is a TCL Roku TV

The info reads:

The Roku Channel

Channel version 4.2.3, GC 5.2.27

Software version: 10.0.0    4195-08

Device ID: 5P6451507019

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

There are many services offered on Roku that provide movies.  Each of them provides their own channel app to run on Roku, which is why I asked.

So this is an offering on The Roku Channel, which is the one entertainment channel created and maintained by Roku itself.

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel did not install correctly, has received a faulty update, or has subsequently gotten corrupted. A reinstall of the channel to get its latest version may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight The Roku Channel on the home screen channel grid.
  2. Press * key on remote and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the provider of the programming.

The Roku Channel is sort of a special case.  Some content is obtained by Roku and provided directly on The Roku Channel.  Problems with these offerings should be brought to Roku's attention -- reporting here is a good way to do this.

In other cases, The Roku Channel provides a gateway to other "live tv" services.  In those cases, Roku may not have much say about how they work, so you're best bet may be to try to report the problems to the originating "live" channels.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Texark
Reel Rookie

Thanks Makaiguy!

I will do exactly as you suggest and thanks so much for taking the time to help. I will report back with the outcome.

0 Kudos
pandora9
Reel Rookie

There is no REMOVE CHANNEL option. Now what?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@pandora9

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bonnielee
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem & after following the given steps above, when I click a movie it lists PLAY and then LOADING, but the movie does not play.  I have deleted the Roku channel twice & added back on, but the same thing happens.

Bonnie

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bonnielee,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any playback issues. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play on The Roku Channel that is experiencing an issue
  2. Have you tried playing other titles from The Roku Channel if you are also having an issue?
  3. Are you being prompted with an error message?
  4. What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos