Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sm1
Level 8

Model 3500 sound drop out

Jump to solution

Help! The sound cuts out at irregular amounts of time although it does seem to be worse when just turned on. The only way to cure this is to turn tv off and on again, sound then returns. Then 10 seconds or 20 mins or whatever it cuts out again and the whole process has to be done again. This might happen 5 times in an evening or 50 times so no particular pattern to it. Please help me before I cry, again; I can't take much more!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Model 3500 sound drop out

Jump to solution

This sounds like a problem with the HDMI connection, since each time you turn on the tv establishes a new HDMI connection with the Roku.

Make sure both ends of the cable are firmly seated in the sockets of the Roku and TV, or the HDMI connector is firmly inserted into the HDMI port on the TV. Make sure all connectors are clean both on the cable and Roku & TV sockets - blowing out with compressed air or even just disconnecting/reconnecting may help. If your TV has more HDMI ports try a different one. Try replacing the HDMI cable.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

This sounds like a problem with the HDMI connection, since each time you turn on the tv establishes a new HDMI connection with the Roku.

Make sure both ends of the cable are firmly seated in the sockets of the Roku and TV, or the HDMI connector is firmly inserted into the HDMI port on the TV. Make sure all connectors are clean both on the cable and Roku & TV sockets - blowing out with compressed air or even just disconnecting/reconnecting may help. If your TV has more HDMI ports try a different one. Try replacing the HDMI cable.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sm1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for your suggestion, I will certainly try this. I wasn't aware of the connection re-setting each time and couldn't figure out why the off and on thing worked!
Ironically or coincidentally or magically, since I posted this the question seems to have resolved itself. Undoubtedly now I mention it again, it will get worse.

0 Kudos
sm1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. Now here's a strange thing; since I reported this problem.....it has stopped, completely stopped and I haven't so much as touched anything. My life had returned to normal, it even became quite fun. I could actually watch a whole film without continually stopping and starting. 
That was until last Sunday evening when we had thunder and lightning here, my life has returned to watching films in many, many parts and my hair has started to fall out again.
Anyone have any suggestions please?

0 Kudos
sm1
Level 8

Sound drops out

Jump to solution

I have posted this question before and whilst I had one answer the problem cured itself without me doing anything at all. Last weekend we had thunder and lightning and now the problem has come back. I'm starting to think it's some sort of conspiracy, it just miraculously healed itself on the same day I posted my question. 
I'm at the end of my tether with this as it drives me properly mad.....PLEASE HELP ME, for the love of God help me. The paragraph below is my original post.

The sound cuts out at irregular amounts of time although it does seem to be worse when just turned on. The only way to cure this is to turn tv off and on again, sound then returns. Then 10 seconds or 20 mins or whatever it cuts out again and the whole process has to be done again. This might happen 5 times in an evening or 50 times so no particular pattern to it. Please help me before I cry, again; I can't take much more

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Sound drops out

Jump to solution

Need more detail. What model Roku device? Model number, not the name. If it's a player (not a TV) is it connected directly to the TV, or to a soundbar or AVR? Does it happen with everything, just a specific channel, or have you tested it on multiple channels? 

Have you removed the HDMI cable from both the Roku and whatever it's connected to and ensure there's no dust trapped in either end? Just a small dust bunny can cause connection issues that could cause problems like this.

A nearby thunderstorm could certainly have caused something inside the player to become damaged. Surges can travel long distances over power and phone lines, which could enter your home and spread to your network. Of course, if this did happen there would likely be other electronic devices damaged as well. Not for certain, of course. Just by bad luck it could have just hit the Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos