Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmanharris
Level 7

May 13, 2021 Update

This update caused the HDMI auto-select setting not to function. I received the HDCP error message. I followed the instructions (3 times). Did not work. I finally changed the auto select function to 720p, which is what my bedroom tv is, and the problem was resolved. As you ROKU people know, software updates can unintentionally, break things. My TVs were fine until 8:44 mountain time. When I got home, broken. Please fix. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: May 13, 2021 Update

You didn't say which Roku device you had, nor the Software version. Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
gmanharris
Level 7

3930X-Roku Express

v. 10.0.0 build 4195 AE

0 Kudos
gmanharris
Level 7

3930X - Roku Express

v. 10.0.0 build 4195-AE

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Everything displayed by the tv is done in the tv's native resolution.  Any signal fed to it in a different resolution has to be up- or down-rezed by the set to the display screen's resolution before it can be displayed anyhow. 

Personally, I never leave my Rokus set to auto-select the resolution, preferring to set it to the tv's actual native resolution.  It makes less work for the tv, and I believe it avoids some of the problems people report when going in/out of commercials that may be sent in a different resolution than the program.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Rickthecompgeek
Level 8

I have a problem with this update as well.  After it installed all apps stop playing and the player goes back to the Home Screen after about 3 minutes.  

this is on a Roku express.  3930x

software 10.0.0 build 4195-AE

0 Kudos
gmanharris
Level 7

@makaiguy wrote:

Everything displayed by the tv is done in the tv's native resolution.  Any signal fed to it in a different resolution has to be up- or down-rezed by the set to the display screen's resolution before it can be displayed anyhow. 

Personally, I never leave my Rokus set to auto-select the resolution, preferring to set it to the tv's actual native resolution.  It makes less work for the tv, and I believe it avoids some of the problems people report when going in/out of commercials that may be sent in a different resolution than the program.

I agree with your first point. But electrons traveling at near the speed of light on a circuit board do not cause your tv to work harder. You are more geeky than I am. LOL. Also, if Roku has a piece of functionality that is part of the system (like auto-select), it ought to work, no matter what. If it’s a bug, then fix it. They need to do better quality control for their software. We paid for these devices and that includes the software. 

0 Kudos
Finjitzu
Level 7

I'm also getting problems after this update. My TCL tv is losing wifi connection and not connecting again.

0 Kudos
Mary_Intoccia
Level 7

@gmanharris My roku remote won’t turn on my tv using the power button on the roku remote anymore. This started ever since the update. If I go up to turn on my TV my roku remote works normally but it just won’t allow me to power on the TV. I think our situation could be related. I have Roku model: 3920RW, Software Version: 10.0.0., Build: 1495-91. How did you change this auto select setting on your TV? Was this done in the roku setting or your TV system settings? I have a Sony TV.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@gmanharris wrote:

@makaiguy wrote:

I agree with your first point. But electrons traveling at near the speed of light on a circuit board do not cause your tv to work harder. You are more geeky than I am. LOL. Also, if Roku has a piece of functionality that is part of the system (like auto-select), it ought to work, no matter what. If it’s a bug, then fix it. They need to do better quality control for their software. We paid for these devices and that includes the software. 

Ironically, YOU are the quality control - well, WE are the QA team:  This is the reason most devices are configured for their beta software update servers, and that they slowly rollout new firmware versions in limited staggered releases (so we find the problems, and report them, they attempt fixes, release a new build, wash rinse repeat).

So that being said, you are a proud paying member of Roku's QA Team, and the sole benefit of which is that you get the warm fuzzy feelings of having helped make a better product.

0 Kudos