Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duz
Reel Rookie

Loud commercials

Why are commercials on roku so loud? It's happens on so many channels..From what I have read roku jacks up the sound on commercials..I don't have that problem watching the same app on my phone..Going to sell my roku and go with Chromecast..

25 REPLIES 25
Hersh12

The commercials wake me up every night. Why arent tbey the same volume as the shows I watch?

The commercials wake me up every night. Why arent tbey the same volume as the shows I watch?

bfs53

Re: Loud commercials

To Roku,

The commercial volume gets ridiculously loud and I turn the volume mute during the commercials. 

I am sure many of your customers are annoyed by this tactic. Please turn down the volume on the commercials. Thank you.

roge
Reel Rookie

How to send a message to keep adverting sound down

We understand that advertising is a required evil but does it really have to be twice as loud as as the program. Most networks have an equal as" policy to the sound while broadcasting yet most Roku participants have this need to just blast away.

I make a point not to buy from such ads and I encourage others to do the same, I can't use my roku with a sleeping kid n my arms cause of the advertising volume will eventually wake them up. Tired of reaching for the remote every 7 min too. Roku should make this policy,

Imemine
Roku Guru

Sound problems commercials no solution

All the previous posts on this have been closed saying there's a solution. So I'm reopening it. Roku please read my post there is no solution yet..

I've read them all and you blame the sound problems where commercials flair up beyond normal listening levels to the channels we are watching and that you have no control over what they are advertising and the sound levels.

Every solution on your forum says you're not responsible because channels control the volumes of the commercial. But I'm watching ROKU CHANNEL. Specifically I've been streaming the show crossing Jordan for the last week now and on your commercials there are four or five that flair up almost 100% one is Rakuten, the 3 insurance company,  Nature Sweet tomatoes. So if channels control the commercial sounds fix yours please.

On another note your sound leveling does nothing it doesn't turn down the volume it doesn't moderate the volume it doesn't level the volume. In fact the sound gets louder when it's turned on. Also it messes up the voice sync on the TV shows.
streaming_fan
Roku Guru

Re: Sound problems commercials no solution

Sounds like you guys need volume leveling.  It evens out the volume of the show you are watching and the commercials to be more like one, even volume.  Not perfect but a definite improvement imo.  Personally, I upgraded from Express to Premiere just to gain the advantage of this one feature.  

Imemine
Roku Guru

Re: Sound problems commercials no solution

I have that feature on my Express and it doesn't work in fact the commercials get louder there's no leveling involved. Like I said there's only four or five commercials that the sound goes up 50%. I named them above. Not to mention when you turn it on it screws up the voice syncing. It doesn't work at all on the express and the volume only goes up on the Roku channel and it just started getting worse the few months 

terf543
Reel Rookie

I am working on this issue because I faced the issue while working on my new project you can see here I also gave feedbacks about it many times but did not receive the valid answer now I am working and researching to solve it by my own hands.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Loud commercials have been a complaint since at least the 1960s. I've seen comedians including bits about loud TV commercials since that time. I suspect they were a thing in the 1950s, but I wasn't watching TV then, so I can't confirm that.

So, while your complaint is valid, don't think it's a new thing. And, with a history like that, don't expect a quick resolution.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

nelsoncomputer
Reel Rookie

Have to agree with this. The difference between programs and commercials is ridiculous. They aren't just a little louder they seem twice as loud.

Come on Roku Channel - make your channel usable.