Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User0000
Reel Rookie

Loud buzzing/clicking audio when using Roku Media Player

I've been using the Roku Media Player to watch DVD copies saved on my home network.  This has worked fine until recently.  Now, all the audio is a horrible buzzing/clicking sound for all the videos. 

I found someone posted a similar issue on Reddit 2 months ago and the solution was to use the "secret menu" to rollback the software version.  I tried to do this however my secret menu does not give me that option -- I can only reapply the existing software version.  I've also attempted to adjust the HDMI audio options as well as audio leveling to no avail.

Roku Premier+

Model: 4630X

7KA690169049

18 REPLIES 18
User0000
Reel Rookie

Re: Loud buzzing/clicking audio when using Roku Media Player

The DVD files are using AC3 audio codec, stereo, 48000Hz, 32 bits per sample

gk802
Roku Guru

See many other threads on this issue...in the Audio and Updates section.  Agree that any rollback option seems to have disappeared.  So far, I have not seen any official response on this issue.  My experience is that the success of changing the Audio/HDMI setting is dependent on what is shown under Audio/Audio Mode.  It seems to be successful if Audio Mode = Auto (DD) and unsuccessful if Auto (Stereo).

User0000
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that workaround and unfortunately no improvement.

I see now there are other threads about videos with AC3 audio not working.  It's sad Roku pushed out a regression, won't allow users to rollback the firmware, and won't respond with issue tracking information. 

I've been meaning to try an Amazon Fire Stick, which supports most/all (?) of the same apps as Roku but has better support for playing files locally (e.g., VLC, Synology DS Video).  I guess now's the time to make the jump.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Experienced the first loud clicking/static-like noise blaring from TV speakers on an MKV video from the Roku Media Player v. 5.5 build 9 on an Ultra 4660 yesterday. (basically, the static replaces the actual audio.)  For me, Audio was set to PCM-Stereo. (Has been set to this for years).  The rest of the shows in this folder played fine with this setting.  This show has previously worked fine with the previous settings also.  I switched the HDMI under Audio Settings from the Menu to Dolby Digital and the loud static noise was resolved.  I set HDMI back to PCM-Stereo and the noise returned.  I then set HDMI to Auto-Detect and it was again resolved.  With Auto-Detect enabled, my Audio Mode is now showing as Auto (DD) rather than Auto (PCM-Stereo).

Going to leave there as currently configured (Auto (DD) ) since everything seems to now to be playing correctly with none of that very irritating noise.  Will definitely awaken you from a peaceful nap.

Not sure if this is an OS10 issue or a Roku Media Player issue.  Perhaps try fiddling with the HDMI settings in the Audio Menu and see if that can resolve issue for you also.

Navigate to Settings...Audio...HDMI  and also Settings...Audio...Audio Mode to make the changes that seem to have worked for me.

Edited/Updated... Achieved better results (sound levels) when switched HDMI to Dolby Digital, DTS and then switched my Audio Mode to Stereo.   I am only using TV Speakers of my Mitsubishi 75, so maybe others have to tinker with different HDMI and Audio settings depending on their audio setup or TV.  Seems like the shows have a more consistent volume level now with these adjusted settings. (could be me though.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

User0000
Reel Rookie

Thanks for testing that out.  I attempted to set HDMI audio out to use DolbyDigital (DD) instead of Auto however it produces no audio output (Roku is connected to a 1080 TV from 2007 so that could be why).

0 Kudos
dumbpuppy
Channel Surfer

I can attest that changing HDMI to Dolby Digital resolved my sound issue.  My MKV files that have AC3 now play without buzzing/clicking.  Still, I have had it set to Auto for years and my MKVs always worked until today!

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

@User0000 , I have a similar response from an older TV.  It appears that some newer ones can decode a DD signal, others can't.  Of those that can't, some will suppress it and go silent, others will display an "incompatible audio signal" message.  Fairly clear that Roku is no longer properly detecting what the connected device is capable of when HDMI is set to Auto.  Nor is it properly downmixing when HDMI is set to another selection.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Just remember that for passthrough-only Roku models, setting HDMI or Audio mode to anything other than one with DD+ support will eliminate 5.1 output for NetFlix/Prime/Hulu/Disney+/etc (the DD+-only services).

You will need to switch the setting(s) back and forth if you want to maintain 5.1 output for both internet streaming and local streaming (assuming the "DD fix" works for your setup for local streaming, at least for now, until this gets fixed).

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Point taken.  So far, I've avoided using "until this gets fixed".  This issue has been rattling around for several weeks, now, on numerous threads.  I haven't seen anything even resembling "we know we have an issue" or "we're working on it".  The best we've seen is "send me your particulars and I'll pass it on", which is really not any more encouraging than the "let's try restarting it" coming from chat support. 

0 Kudos