Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Losing signal on channels - Express+

I am losing signal on all channels.

Device: Roku Express+ 3910RW (purchased 10/17/19 and installed on or about 10/18/19)

TV: Vizio SV370XVT LCD HDTV (older model with 720p and 1080p; without 4K)

Roku is hooked directly to TV.

Signal loss on all pre-installed channels on Home screen: Netflix, Vudu, Prime Video, Sling, Hulu, Roku, Google Play, ESPN, Roku Media Player.

Signal loss on all user added channels to Home screen: HGTV Go, PBS, View Local.

Signal loss on update installed channel on Home screen: Roku Tips & Tricks.

Before update 9.2.0 Build 4131-51, the only problem I had was that the 1080p display would sometimes show a flashing snowy screen and intermittent static. Switching to 720p would resolve the issue.

I have tried all 3 HDMI ports and the composite port on the TV, changed display settings, unplugged the Roku for many minutes, restarted Roku, etc and still experience signal loss.

This is an update issue, and not a TV or channel provider issue.

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

Just posted, but forgot to add that my Roku restarts after every signal loss and does not default to "auto detect" in the display settings.

Treecutter

Scott_C
Level 9

treecutter,

Thanks for all the additional info and channels! It's dropping the signal with multiple channels for me, too.

0 Kudos
AwesomeGrant
Level 7

Hey guys, thanks for running this thread. I'm also experiencing this issue and I'd love to hear what further troubleshooting I can do. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thanks for the notes. Please try replacing the HDMI cable you are using to connect the device to your TV. You may also need to try plugging the device into a different HDMI port on your TV. Both of these steps can help resolve this type of issue. 

If the issue is still occurring from there, please provide more specific details about exactly what occurs on screen when you say you 'lose signal'.

- Are you seeing any error messages?

- What displays on the TV screen?

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if you encounter the same issue? 

With more information, we can continue assisting with this issue. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Tanner,

What I mean when I say I "lose the signal" is that I see a blue screen with the words "No Signal!". After less than a minute, the Roku then restarts with the bouncing Roku letters. I do not see any error messages, just the blue screen (of death).

I have tried other HDMI cables and have tried all 3 HDMI ports (as noted in my original post) on the TV as well as the composite ports.

I do not have another TV, and I also do not have a 4K capable TV. I have also tried switching from 720p to 1080p and back to no avail.

Treecutter

0 Kudos
pj1
Level 7

Re: Losing signal on channels - Express+

I have roku express 3910RW,  and mine is doing the same thing - cutting off in mist of movies or tv shows and go back to the home page,  its so frustrating,  i have tried everything but nothing worked -  i went to roku to get away from that high price of cable but not being able to watch a movie or tv show without it cutting off constantly makes me want to get rid of this roku and go back to cable-   at least i was able to watch a movie !

Ruthshivers
Level 7

Mine is also doing this on all channels. I just bought the Roku Express. It worked fine for approximately one week and now it will turn on for 30 seconds and then no signal. Do I need to return for a refund or will this be fixed
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

So when is the Express and Express+ issues (that appear to be the same as all other Roku models) going to be addressed/

The "selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal" thread seems to be all about the Ultra and 4K televisions. What about us with "lesser" model Rokus who operate on dumb TVs?

This has been going on since approximately November 1st and today is the 20th (three weeks later) with no resolution to the problem or any official word from Roku!!!

Tis' the season to be shopping.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed a new Express+ that I had bought for future use and so far it is working.

For full details, see my recent post under the discussion "Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal".

Good luck to all.

Treecutter

0 Kudos