Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Losing Audio While Streaming

The loss of sound started about a week ago.  It had occurred a few times and power cycling the Roku Express is the only thing that fixes it.  Today it happened again, I power cycled again and the sound came back, but a few minutes later it stopped working again.  We've had the Express for a year and a week.  So it's time to decide whether to get a new Roku or try something else.

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Losing Audio While Streaming

@Old_Streamer 

Thanks for reaching out to let us know about the issue you're experiencing. A few more questions here to help clarify the steps you've taken and the behavior you're seeing: 

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device to your TV? 

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different HDMI port on the TV? 

- Which specific streaming channels have you been watching when you observe this behavior Please cite some examples, as well as content examples if you can recall. 

- During playback inside a streaming channel, when audio is lost during playback, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for the option that says 'Volume mode' - Is this set to Leveling, Night, or Off? 

- Does changing the setting for Volume Mode to 'Off' resolve the issue, or restore audio without restarting your device? 

With more information, we can continue looking into this issue and assisting you. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've saved them to my phone and will try them when we lose the audio again. It's been working fine for several days now.  I'll post here if I find anything conclusive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Old_Streamer 

- During playback inside a streaming channel, when audio is lost during playback, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for the option that says 'Volume mode' - Is this set to Leveling, Night, or Off?

Does changing the setting for Volume Mode to 'Off' resolve the issue, or restore audio without restarting your device? 

Tanner,

This has happened several times but I haven't had the time to investigate it as we needed to reboot to get back to our programming.  However when it happened tonight I was able to check a few things.

I had switched from Hulu, where the sound was working, to the PBS app and when I eventually selected a show to watch the audio was gone.  I checked Hulu and it was still off.  I then pulled up your list of things to check.  I did not change the HDMI cable or port but I did check the volume mode and it was set to 'Leveling'.  When I changed it to 'Off' the audio was restored.  I have left it set to Off hoping that will solve the issue.  Let me know if you have any comments.  Thanks.

Level 8

I'm having the same problem.  Where is the "KEY"

Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks, but the sound just came back on.  Don't know why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This happening to me now. After every episode I have to go to volume mode, turn it off and turn it back on. It's a real pain. It's been doing it for 3 days now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It started happening again starting a week ago.  The only way to fix it is to either restart or power cycle the Roku (Express).  Just bought a Streaming Stick+ for another TV.  Hope it's not an issue with that device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm sorry to report that the new Streaming Stick+ is exhibiting the same behavior.  We have to either restart the Roku or power it off.  I was hoping the problem was with my Express device but not so.  Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can only restore the sound by going to Settings, Audio Mode and then scroll to Night, Off and back to Leveling.  Audio returns and is OK until I either change channels or, when watching Netflex, Roku or Hulu (as examples) and an advertisement occurs..  When that happens, the audio go off.  By-the-way, switching to off alone and re-powering does not solve the issue.

0 Kudos