Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sundardinesh
Level 7

Listening to music thru AV receiver with TV off

Hello , here is my setup

Pioneer TV
Onkyo receiver
Monoprice hdmi switch
Roku premier

My connection
1)roku to hdmi switch
2) hdmi switch to AVR input
3) AvR to speaker and avr hdmi output to TV

I have no problem watching roku content. However for music channel( tune in , spotify ) i would like to turn off tv and listen to music over AVR.

Music stops when I switch off TV . I Upgraded from Roku LT and i did not have this issue and similarly i have a apple tv which has a similar setup and i have no problem listening just the audio with displayed turned off . Any suggestions to fix the issue
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Listening to music thru AV receiver with TV off

Couple of ideas. My Samsung allows me to turn the display off without turning the TV off. You might see if yours has the same function. The other thought is to disable CEC control in the Roku. I'm assuming turning the TV off doesn't turn your AVR off by default, as mine does. But it sounds like the TV is sending a CEC command to the Roku which is stopping playback. In the Roku Settings menu, go to System/Control other devices, and disable 1-touch play. See if that makes a difference. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Sundardinesh
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Couple of ideas. My Samsung allows me to turn the display off without turning the TV off. You might see if yours has the same function. The other thought is to disable CEC control in the Roku. I'm assuming turning the TV off doesn't turn your AVR off by default, as mine does. But it sounds like the TV is sending a CEC command to the Roku which is stopping playback. In the Roku Settings menu, go to System/Control other devices, and disable 1-touch play. See if that makes a difference. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Removing the 1-touch control didn’t fix the issue. I am exploring the display option pioneer tv
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

You should be able to disable CEC commands on the HDTV, on the AVR or on the Roku.

This way when you turn off your TV, the Roku won’t be told to stop streaming. It’s a nice feature for people who treat Roku devices like old school TV - turn off the TV and that’s it. But if Netflix kept streaming you’d use up many GB of data and not everyone has unlimited internet.
0 Kudos