Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Line Out port no longer working on Sharp Roku TV since recent update

During the recent hubbub over LiveTV change, another issue arose which escaped my notice until last night:  the Line Out port on my Sharp Roku TV (LC-43LBU591U) is no longer active. Ever since buying the TV a bit over a year ago I'd plugged a small pair of Logitech PC speakers/subwoofer into that port to enjoy a bit more rich sound to complement the TV onboard speakers. Even when I muted the TV, the line out level was constant so the Logitech speakers remained on. The reasons I do this are mine, suffice to say it is a convenience that fit my use cases.

Now, I discover there isn't any sound coming from Line Out.  I firmly believe this isn't a hardware problem, as I can hear a slight buzz-hum from the speakers when I pull the 3.5mm jack out and reinsert, so there is signal of some level, though I don't have a meter to check it for certain.

I looked at the Settings/Audio menu and see a checkbox for TV Speakers is checked.  I cannot recall if, in the past there was a checkbox for the Line Out. At any rate, I unchecked that box and listened for any sound from Logitech speakers, but heard none; so I clicked the checkbox again to re-enable the speakers on TV.

RokuSupport: Can you tell me if there was some side effect in the recent system update that affected the Line Out port?  Since you don't post release logs, there isn't any way for user community to know what you change each time there is a release or patch. (but that's a different topic we will defer to another post)

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Line Out port no longer working on Sharp Roku TV since recent update

Are you sure you were using the av jack or was it the headphone jack? Roku tv's don't have lineout jack only a line in. The only audio out are ARC and optical. And possibly the headphone jack. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am most definitely using the port labeled Line Out. There is also a headphone port which is 6 inches away and it has nothing plugged into it. BTW, my Sharp Roku TV doesn't sport a line in port, though it does have optical - which I am also not using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Final Update:  Resolved

I discovered the problem, it was a bad cable connecting the Logitech speakers to Line Out.  I hadn't checked on that until it came to me this afternoon to try swapping to a new cable. 

As it turns out, it was coincidental to the the incident with Live TV so I erroneously thought it to be a software issue.  It was hardware, but not TV hardware - rather a dying cable. How did I forget that wiring also gets old.

RokuSupport, Sorry to have brought up a false alarm.

Thanks Tivoburkee, for spurring me to think further about the problem.

0 Kudos