Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPeterson
Level 7

Latest update broke video colors

Hello,
 I have a Roku Express+ (model 3910RW, serial number YG00GN487469, currently software version 9.0.0 build 4116-51).  Up until Jan. 30, when the software did its last auto-update, things had been working perfectly.  However, when I went to watch something on Thursday night (the 30th) the Roku was disconnected from the internet and madness ensued:
1)  I attempted to reconnect, but the device could not find any wifi networks in the area.  This was strange since it had not moved, previously had full strength, and all other internet devices in the area were fine.  I'll note that the video looked normal.  All the menus had normal colors and appearances; I just couldn't do anything because the Roku couldn't find the internet.
2) I rebooted the device by power-cycling rather than the menu reboot option.
3) Upon reboot, the Express+ automatically connected to my wi-fi as it should have.  However, the video output is now completely messed up.
4a) The Roku now outputs distorted colors in the video.  Everything has a strong magenta filter on, almost as though looking at a film negative.  
4b) I'd like to stress that video CONTENT plays fine.  I can playback anything from any channel without problem.  It's simply that the color space is completely hosed. 
5) NOTHING changed in my setup (cables, locations, devices, etc.) Everything was working fine until this spontaneous internet loss occurred, and the video went wonky upon reboot.  I can only infer that this was something to do with the software update that my device reports happened at the time when it went bonkers.

Will there be a fix for this?  Can I exchange this unit that Roku apparently hosed through an update for a new one?
Sincerely frustrated,
-Don
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Latest update broke video colors

"DPeterson" wrote:
Hello,
 I have a Roku Express+ (model 3910RW, serial number YG00GN487469, currently software version 9.0.0 build 4116-51).  Up until Jan. 30, when the software did its last auto-update, things had been working perfectly.  However, when I went to watch something on Thursday night (the 30th) the Roku was disconnected from the internet and madness ensued:
1)  I attempted to reconnect, but the device could not find any wifi networks in the area.  This was strange since it had not moved, previously had full strength, and all other internet devices in the area were fine.  I'll note that the video looked normal.  All the menus had normal colors and appearances; I just couldn't do anything because the Roku couldn't find the internet.
2) I rebooted the device by power-cycling rather than the menu reboot option.
3) Upon reboot, the Express+ automatically connected to my wi-fi as it should have.  However, the video output is now completely messed up.
4a) The Roku now outputs distorted colors in the video.  Everything has a strong magenta filter on, almost as though looking at a film negative.  
4b) I'd like to stress that video CONTENT plays fine.  I can playback anything from any channel without problem.  It's simply that the color space is completely hosed. 
5) NOTHING changed in my setup (cables, locations, devices, etc.) Everything was working fine until this spontaneous internet loss occurred, and the video went wonky upon reboot.  I can only infer that this was something to do with the software update that my device reports happened at the time when it went bonkers.

Will there be a fix for this?  Can I exchange this unit that Roku apparently hosed through an update for a new one?
Sincerely frustrated,
-Don

Is your device connected via HDMI or Composite to your TV? The Express+ is the only current Roku device that has composite capabilities, and I don't see where you specified.

Assuming HDMI, you might want to do a factory reset. This would clear up anything that corrupted during the last update. This next bit is important: hold the reset button for no less than 30 seconds. 29 is too little.

If composite, let us know.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DPeterson
Level 7

Sorry. Yes HDMI output.  Technically, it's HDMI out of the Roku, DVI into the TV, but the Auto-detect finds the HD (720p) and HDCP (1.4) just fine.  As I said, content plays fine, it's just completely messed up in colorspace.  I tried the hard reset, holding the reset button down until the "Let's get started" screen appeared.  The device is now re-adding all of my channels.  All of the colors are still messed up.  

I still believe that something has gone wrong with the video card of the express+ to no longer display a proper video.

Thanks for the thought.  Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note. 

If you've tried changing out the HDMI cable and testing on another TV, and are still still the same results, feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and player serial number and I'll get you in touch with our support team directly for more help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"DPeterson" wrote:
...  I tried the hard reset, holding the reset button down until the "Let's get started" screen appeared.  The device is now re-adding all of my channels.  All of the colors are still messed up.  

..,Any other ideas?

Yes, do a proper reset. I didn’t say “until you see something on the screen that you decide is a good time to stop.” I said “no less than 30 seconds. 29 is too little.” What I meant by “no less than 30 seconds” was “no less than 30 seconds.” So, if you want to do a proper reset, do it properly. No less than 30 seconds.

Let me say it again, so you understand what I’m saying. No less than 30 seconds.

Sorry for being a jerk, but I didn’t seem to get the point across first time. No less than 30 seconds.

Users such as me and others are here to help. But we need your help.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DPeterson
Level 7

Hi DBDukes,

Sorry I wasn't completely clear.  Let me be the "jerk" now. Smiley Happy  When I mentioned the "until the 'Let's get started' screen appeared, that took 32.5 seconds.  I had a stopwatch running to ensure I spent as long as you said.  I don't have a problem reading, comprehending, or following directions.  I held the reset button down, then started a stopwatch.  After about 10-15 seconds, the bouncing Roku banner began.  I kept the button down as instructed.  After about 29 seconds, the screen went blank again; after the 32.5 seconds the "let's get started" appeared.  That was longer than the requested 30 seconds.  JUST.  AS. INSTRUCTED.

I did what was suggested.  It didn't work.  I reported back.  I thought that by mentioning the particular getting started screen, it would inform you that I persisted beyond the 30 seconds since that screen didn't appear until after 30 seconds had elapsed.  Perhaps you just don't understand the device as well as you thought you did.

Please don't infer anything else.
0 Kudos
DPeterson
Level 7

Re: Latest update broke video colors (possible fix)

Just as an update, I may have found at least a temporary solution for this.

I went into the device settings and to the display options.  My display does 1080i or 720p and the Roku was auto-detecting the 720p and HDCP compatibility as mentioned in the first post.  I tried "forcing" the 1080p option out of the Roku.  It made an attempt, and of course the screen went blank.  However, upon returning back to the "did you see anything" (or whatever the exact message was) the colors are now being output properly.???

I had only tried selecting the 720p or letting the Roku auto-select the 720p since that's what my display will do and whatever glitch had found its way into the video card was persisting in those outputs.  It seems that forcing another resolution setting provided the necessary switch, buffer clear, or bit reset to occur.  I had the system playing a bunch of hulu today while doing chores around the house and there were no more glitches.

I'll keep tabs on this, but for now it seems that this video colorspace issue can be fixed by manually forcing a different output resolution (in this case, 1080p) even if your display does not natively support that format, then going back to the autodetect.

Thanks again for attempts and thoughts on fixing the issue.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"DPeterson" wrote:
Hi DBDukes,

Sorry I wasn't completely clear.  Let me be the "jerk" now. Smiley Happy  When I mentioned the "until the 'Let's get started' screen appeared, that took 32.5 seconds.  I had a stopwatch running to ensure I spent as long as you said.  I don't have a problem reading, comprehending, or following directions.  I held the reset button down, then started a stopwatch.  After about 10-15 seconds, the bouncing Roku banner began.  I kept the button down as instructed.  After about 29 seconds, the screen went blank again; after the 32.5 seconds the "let's get started" appeared.  That was longer than the requested 30 seconds.  JUST.  AS. INSTRUCTED.

I did what was suggested.  It didn't work.  I reported back.  I thought that by mentioning the particular getting started screen, it would inform you that I persisted beyond the 30 seconds since that screen didn't appear until after 30 seconds had elapsed.  Perhaps you just don't understand the device as well as you thought you did.

Please don't infer anything else.

Or, I’ve seen it appear in less than 30 seconds on Roku devices. So, that screen doesn’t necessarily mean 30 seconds. There is that.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Latest update broke video colors (possible fix)

"DPeterson" wrote:
Just as an update, I may have found at least a temporary solution for this.

I went into the device settings and to the display options.  My display does 1080i or 720p and the Roku was auto-detecting the 720p and HDCP compatibility as mentioned in the first post.  I tried "forcing" the 1080p option out of the Roku.  It made an attempt, and of course the screen went blank.  However, upon returning back to the "did you see anything" (or whatever the exact message was) the colors are now being output properly.???

I had only tried selecting the 720p or letting the Roku auto-select the 720p since that's what my display will do and whatever glitch had found its way into the video card was persisting in those outputs.  It seems that forcing another resolution setting provided the necessary switch, buffer clear, or bit reset to occur.  I had the system playing a bunch of hulu today while doing chores around the house and there were no more glitches.

I'll keep tabs on this, but for now it seems that this video colorspace issue can be fixed by manually forcing a different output resolution (in this case, 1080p) even if your display does not natively support that format, then going back to the autodetect.

Thanks again for attempts and thoughts on fixing the issue.

Glad you found a workaround. One thought: are there any firmware updates available for your video card? If you’re thinking something there could be contributing to it, if there’s an update, it might resolve things.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DPeterson
Level 7

How would I find out if there's a firmware update for the Roku's video card?  I didn't see any tech specs that indicated a particular model. In any case, it does appear to be operating stably right now.  It was your idea to "reset" the device that got me onto the idea of trying to reset the display settings by choosing an "unsupported" output format.  It was that kind of nudge that eventually got the fix, or at least work-around.  Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos