Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottt1174
Level 7

Last Roku update messed up Dolby Vision on TCL

It's been going around that the last Roku update or version I guess you could call it messed up the Dolby Vision on TCL Tvs. I have the TCL S517 and whenever I play a Dolby Vision movie the screen changes from dark to light and light to dark in all scenes of the movie it's not supposedto do that. TCL is aware of the problem. Is Roku going to fix this issue? Anyone else seeing it? Thx
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Last Roku update messed up Dolby Vision on TCL

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. Which channels are you seeing this issue on while watching content? Have you tried DV titles across multiple channels to see if the same issue occurs? 

Please feel free to PM me with more details, including your Roku account email address, channel and specific content information, and I'll follow up directly to help take a closer look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
MrE986
Level 7

"Scottt1174" wrote:
It's been going around that the last Roku update or version I guess you could call it messed up the Dolby Vision on TCL Tvs. I have the TCL S517 and whenever I play a Dolby Vision movie the screen changes from dark to light and light to dark in all scenes of the movie it's not supposedto do that. TCL is aware of the problem. Is Roku going to fix this issue? Anyone else seeing it? Thx

This has started happening to me since the update. Same TV, though I have an Apple TV hooked up to it. I’m not sure if it’s confined to Netflix, but I’ve seen it a lot on there. It’s as if the lighting changes before a camera cuts away and is very jarring.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your observations, @MrE986. 

Please feel free to PM me with more details, including your Roku account email address, TV serial number from Settings>System>About, as well as the channel and specific content title information, that you've observed this issue on. I'll follow up directly to help take a closer look and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Acott687
Level 7

I am having the same issues... has there been a fix developed/identified?
0 Kudos
billwolfer
Level 7

I'm also having a Dolby Vision issue, but I'm not sure it's this one. Mine is that it doesn't look right--grayish letterbox bars, lack of contrast, deep blacks. It only applies to signals coming externally--Netflix and Dolby app look as they should on the internal apps.

Setup: LG BD player/Apple TV 4K > Yamaha 3070 > TCL 65R615. 
0 Kudos
billwolfer
Level 7

"billwolfer" wrote:
I'm also having a Dolby Vision issue, but I'm not sure it's this one. Mine is that it doesn't look right--grayish letterbox bars, lack of contrast, deep blacks. It only applies to signals coming externally--Netflix and Dolby app look as they should on the internal apps.

Setup: LG BD player/Apple TV 4K > Yamaha 3070 > TCL 65R615. 

Looking around the web, it may be that this is related to issues Dolby Vision had with various LG and Sony TVs. And those issues, like this one only apply to content via HDMI, not internal apps.
0 Kudos