Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBK88
Channel Surfer

Re: Keeps going back to home screen

Hi Everyone on this thread.

I found something specific that always causes this to happen on my system. Some of you may have a slightly different issue than me though. My issue is that the show or movie starts fine, then within 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the show goes black and then the system goes to the Roku Home Screen. This happens with any of the 3 streaming services that I have installed. Once I start the show again, it's fine.

If I avoid pressing the HOME button on the remote, things work fine. I've tested this many times now and always when the HOME button is pressed, the problem occurs.

If Roku is sleeping (screen saver is on) and you're ready to use it, press the OK button on the remote. It'll take you to the Home screen. There is no need to press the HOME button.

Again, this workaround is what works for me. Others may find that it doesn't work for them, especially if their issue isn't exactly the same as mine.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@MBK88 wrote:

If Roku is sleeping (screen saver is on) and you're ready to use it, press the OK button on the remote. It'll take you to the Home screen. There is no need to press the HOME button.

I strongly recommend not pressing the OK button when the screensaver is on, or when you can't view the screen. If your screensaver has ads or promos for different channels, pressing OK might select something you don't want to select. You could end up being charged for something. I would avoid pressing the Pause/Play button for the same reason.

If you don't want to press Home, then press Back. I'm not certain any of the other buttons will wake the device, but you might also try one of the directional buttons. 

I use the CEC function to switch my TV and AVR to the Roku all the time by pressing the Home button. I've never encountered the problem users have posted here, and it seems unlikely they are related. However, the fact it works for you is all that matters, so congratulations for finding it. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MBK88
Channel Surfer

Dan,

Good point, thanks for that suggestion, I wouldn't have though of that.

I'm hoping my "avoid the Home Button" can help at least one person. If so, I'll be happy.

So folks, if you find this helps, let us know!!

MBK88
Channel Surfer

Re: Are you being returned to Home screen after selecting a channel?

Danny,

Did you see my comments from 2 weeks ago that have a workaround so this problem doesn’t happen?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Keeps-going-back-to-home-screen/td-p...

I would hope this has been passed on to the engineering staff because now that I know to NOT use the HOME button, I have not encountered the issue of the show going back to the Roku Home Screen. This issue was occurring on all of the streaming apps that I have, including Roku.

Thank you.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Are you being returned to Home screen after selecting a channel?

@MBK88 

Thanks for the post and the comments. 

What you are stating is much different than what customers are reporting, in which they are not pressing the Home button, but are still being returned to the Home screen after launching a channel, which in this case, would be similar to a channel crash.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mimi777

Ok, so the same thing was happening to me and I cleared the cache and did a system restart for good measure… worked like a charm. You can Google instructions on clearing the cache. Hope it helps!!!

0 Kudos
ArtistPSW1
Reel Rookie

Mine is the same. I’ve sent 3 messages to have them fix and now it’s worse. 

0 Kudos
LucyJ
Reel Rookie

Mine is going back to home screen from Hulu and the Roku channel won't play.  I don't have a device but do have a ROKU ready television. Please help

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@LucyJ the first thing you have to tell us is the Roku model number. Not the name, because Roku reuses their names on completely different hardware. Look under Settings/System/About and you'll see the model number. 

And exactly what do you mean by a Roku "ready" TV? Any HDTV with HDMI inputs is Roku ready. If it's a Roku TV, then it's a Roku TV, not a Roku ready TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
LucyJ
Reel Rookie

I have a ROKU tv that keeps going back to home screen, I also have a problem with the voices matching the words.  

0 Kudos