Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Keeps going back to home screen

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Missduncan 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How is the device being powered? Is it plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? What specific channels is this issue happening?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

I'm amazed it took this long for anybody to ask this question.  Of course this is a long, old thread, and many just post without reading the existing posts.

The USB ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably.  A Roku connected this way may appear to start up normally, but as soon as it runs into an activity that requires more power than the USB port can deliver, something will fail, commonly taking you back to the home screen.

It is recommended that you power your Roku device via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into your house power. If you no longer have the USB power adapter that came with your device, you may have another one handy from another device that can be used -- just make sure the tiny print on it confirms it has a 5 volt dc output of at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Myluv

0 Kudos

My roku is doing the same thing we have tried literally everything you have suggested and things others have suggested the serial # is X00400FG36N6

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing issues with your device returning to the home screen when in channel playback, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tbrrrdmn
Reel Rookie

Roku TV brand and model: Element roku tv D8O5X; model#E1AA32R
-serial number: XOO7OOMYWC0A
-device ID: SO6H5OAYWC0A
-software OS/version: 10.0.0 BUILD 4185-CJ

Happens on any channel, streaming or live local.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tbrrrdmn

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information becomes available, I'll be sure to update the Community.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MBK88
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny,

I'm having the same issue here where it goes back to the Roku home screen after about two minutes after starting a new show. Once it goes back to the Roku Home screen and the show is restarted, I am able to watch the entire show.
This happens with all services that I've tried so far. They are The Roku Channel, Philo and Pluto.

The bandwidth saver was disabled on 05/27.

The Roku device was powered down this morning 05/28 for about a minute.
The issue of going back to the Roku Home screen still occurs.

I purchased a "new" Roku Ultra LT two weeks ago.
The Ultra LT is plugged into a wall outlet.
It is using the Ethernet port, wireless was never enabled or connected.
Model is 4662RW
Software Version is 10.0.0 Build 4195-46
Serial Number YJ00EG655531
Device ID is 04608E655531
Tracker ID is 31-212-857

One possibility is if the Roku device has not been used for an hour or so, then when starting a new show is when this usually happens. I'm not going to remove any of the channels since it came with the Roku Channel and this is a channel that the issue occurs with.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you!

UPDATE 05/29/2021
Since this occurs often, I have two more Tracker ID's with the date and time information. I hope this helps.

05-29-2021 13:57:44Z  Tracker ID of 31-213-957

05-29-2021 15:28:14Z   Tracker ID 31-214-048

0 Kudos
LuvJmm
Streaming Star

No Danny, unfortunately none of those things you all make customers do to resolve issues actually resolve anything. We’re just stuck waiting around for Roku to finally acknowledge it’s a problem on their end and do something about it, which rarely happens these days. It returns you to home screen no matter what you do or reset or delete or reinstall, and it does it while you’re even just navigating the channel. If you try to go to categories or use search options it kicks you back to home screen, and it is happening across many apps on every Roku device, of which I have several different brands, and it’s happening to my neighbors Roku TV as well. We have tried all of Roku’s standard “do it yourself” “fixes,” and every trick you listed, and nothing ever works. Roku needs to actually care enough to fix it. It has been nonstop problems with all of my Roku devices for about a year now and I have had it. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the update about the playback issue that you are experiencing.

We're aware of the issue and the team is hard at work in investigating the issue, rest assured that I'll update the Community.

We appreciate your patience for the time being!

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Gramma21
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing issues with your device returning to the home screen when in channel playback, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

We've given you all of that. We've taken every step suggested here. And after explaining over and over, we're STILL treated as if it's only happening to one device, and only to us (I'm talking about it going back to home screen after about an hour of inactivity - whether on pause or just on the channel - although now they're also going back to home screen while watching). But it's happening to ALL 3 of our devices (it was happening to all 4 but we ended up throwing one away because of all the extra problems it had). AND to all our children's devices, and to both of my parents' devices! After a phone call to help, they assured us they'd look into it and call us back... that was back in FEBRUARY and we've heard nothing since! My husband has given me the go ahead to buy a firestick but I keep holding out hope that eventually enough people will complain that someone realizes it's a problem with Roku, not an individual device. But my hope is definitely dwindling! Especially seeing this as a response (as if it's a single device, so give us the device brand, model, serial umber, device ID, etc)

0 Kudos