Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joemysterio
Level 7

Issue with audio - Soundbar and Roku stick+

Okay, so apparently my dumb ass TV is not fully compatible with the Roku Stick+. I figured this out after the return window expired on the TV. I have a KD-50X690E. It has 3 HDMI ports, HDMI1 does not support HDCP 2.2 , HDMI2 and 3 does. The stick+ ALWAYS gives up an HDCP error on HDMI1, even if it's on 720p or 1080p. I have an HDMI switch on HDMI2 (Nintendo Switch and PS4) and a HDMI cable from HDMI3/ARC to my soundbar's ARC port (Vizio SB3630).

I thought I would move the HDMI switch to 3, Roku to 2, and the sound bar to 1 with an optical cable connecting the sound bar to my TV. I set the bar to Optical, and went through several off and on's with the TV, every time it turns on the sound bar and it stays on optical, so that works. Trying HDMI2 (Roku), it turns on and I hear audio coming out of the bar. Then it automatically switches to HDMI. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I have tried everything and it keeps doing that ONLY with the Roku. I even swapped the hdmi switch and the roku. Same crap.

Has anyone experienced this before with a stick+? What else can I do so I don't have to switch back to optical every time I turn on the TV to use roku? Can I use a receiver? Will the same BS happen? This has me super frustrated.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
lisahart
Level 7

Re: Issue with audio - Soundbar and Roku stick+

Composite audio cables commonly have a red or white connector. Connect the Rokuplayer to a different input on the AVR or sound bar (ideally one you know works) and see if you can now hear audio. If you can, then there is a problem with the previous input on AVR or sound bar. Try changing the cables. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 16

lisahart: he has a Stick +, so no audio cables at all. 

OP: go into the Stick settings and find the menu option for controlling other devices. It may be labeled One Touch Play, or something similar. Turn that off, and the Roku won't send any HDMI CEC control functions, so your audio settings should remain. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
joemysterio
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
lisahart: he has a Stick +, so no audio cables at all. 

OP: go into the Stick settings and find the menu option for controlling other devices. It may be labeled One Touch Play, or something similar. Turn that off, and the Roku won't send any HDMI CEC control functions, so your audio settings should remain. 

Dang, tried that just now, it still changes my sound bar from optical to hdmi. It's really annoying, because when it turns on and the roku logo jiggles around, I hear the audio just fine on the sound bar until it hits the main menu, then it switches over to hdmi. Whatever this bug is, is also probably what causes the Roku while on HDMI1 to give me constant HDCP errors.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I only have access to my Roku TV right now, and I know the menu options aren't quite the same. In the Roku Settings menu, under Audio, there should be a setting labeled S/PDIF and ARC. By default it's on auto detect. Try changing that to one of the other options, like Dolby D, DTS. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
joemysterio
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I only have access to my Roku TV right now, and I know the menu options aren't quite the same. In the Roku Settings menu, under Audio, there should be a setting labeled S/PDIF and ARC. By default it's on auto detect. Try changing that to one of the other options, like Dolby D, DTS. 

Thanks, unfortunately none of that works. I've been having to deal with waiting for the Roku to turn on all the way, then manually switching to Optical every single time. Really annoying. It's crazy that this thing doesn't work that well on Sony TV's, of all brands...
0 Kudos
Wixandy
Level 7

Sorry cannot see how to post a new topic.
I have just bought the role, I sorted I to tv hdmi and the tv loops on ARC to denon amp.
How co e I cannot get Dolby please?
When I use the Amazon app on the tv that pushes Dolby to the amp ok?
Many thanks
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

I'm confused about something in your set up. You state that you moved the soundbar to hdmi 3 AND to optical? Both? If so try just optical, as the tv may be getting the handshake thru hdmi detecting a device and switching it from optical.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos