Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martyc
Level 7

Is my Roku 4 about to die?!?!?

My Roku 4 has started making a really disturbing sound intermittently. Sounds like the fan may be self-destructing. I recorded the video linked below while it was doing it. At the time, it was running at:

Temperature: 70 C
Fan: 24%
mode: 5

Any help appreciated!

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/Xqzi9AT1HXY

Best regards,
Marty
0 Kudos
6 Replies
martyc
Level 7

Re: Is my Roku 4 about to die?!?!?

While waiting for a reply, I took the unit to bits to see if I could see what was wrong with it. I found that the screws holding the fan on the case were all a bit loose. I tightened them up and reassembled the unit. All else looked good inside the unit. Will let you all know whether that fixes the issue.
0 Kudos
martyc
Level 7

The loose screws were not it. Cleaned and lubricated the fan. That seems to have done it.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"martyc" wrote:
The loose screws were not it.   Cleaned and lubricated the fan.   That seems to have done it.

I hope you got a part#, or at least researched a suitable replacement, because if you have to lubricate a fan designed to never need lubricating, you can be reasonably assured it's lifetime has been exceeded.
0 Kudos
martyc
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"martyc" wrote:
The loose screws were not it.   Cleaned and lubricated the fan.   That seems to have done it.

I hope you got a part#, or at least researched a suitable replacement, because if you have to lubricate a fan designed to never need lubricating, you can be reasonably assured it's lifetime has been exceeded.

When it finally melts down at some point in the future, I will toss it and get something new. Sourcing and buying a replacement fan+shipping would not be worth it for this old Roku.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Yeah, the fan was a bad idea, considering a fanless, more powerful version came out less than 2 years later.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

If the unit works gluing a fan to the case over the existing fan opening may not pass muster at the Roku 4 Beauty Contest, but could remain in service indefinitely (or a reasonable facsimile of).

It would certainly score high marks in the:
Custom Roku 4 User Hot Rod Mod Division
0 Kudos