Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marsacademy
Level 7

Is my Roku 2 XS fried?

On Monday, we had a severe thunderstorm, and one very large and close lightning strike took Comcast down for my entire neighborhood. Later that evening, everyone else's came back - mine didn't.

When restarting the modem multiple times (both hard and soft reset) didn't help, and they couldn't get me an appointment for two weeks, I decided to take a chance on it being a problem with my modem only (it could see the internet, but none of my devices could see the modem) and yesterday I walked into a comcast location and exchanged the modem.

Apparently, I was correct, because my phone, my computer, and my Blu-Ray player all successfully connected again last night (both ethernet and wireless seem to be working). But my Roku keeps saying "no connection." I've rebooted both the modem and the Roku, but I can't even access the settings menu on the ROKU - after doing a factory reset, I get as far as the remote pairing screen - and the remote flashes like it's supposed to when it's trying to pair - but the ROKU screen won't advance past the pairing screen and I can't access the home screen or go anywhere else. I did try resetting both the device and the remote multiple times, but there was no change.

The Roku wasn't powered up/plugged in during the storm, as best I can remember, but it would have had an ethernet connection to the modem, since I leave that in place. I've spent a lot of hours trying to fix this, but most fixes I've found want me to go to a set up screen, which I can't do.

Do you think something simply got fried when the internet connection went down, and I should stop wasting my time?

For the record, the modem is an ARRIS TG1682G (and the one it replaced was the same).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Is my Roku 2 XS fried?

I agree you should stop trying to revive it. The surge most likely came through the Ethernet, since the modem was taken out as well. But honestly, the 2 XS is such a poor performing box that it's time to retire it anyway. And I'm saying this as someone who has two of them, now just gathering dust. in addition, when Roku completely depreciates their old development software language at the end of this year, chances are few of any channels would continue to work anyway. The 2 XS was discontinued years ago, and is extremely under-powered compared to even the least expensive current Roku or Amazon Fire player. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
marsacademy
Level 7

Thank you. Makes sense to me. It's served me well for over 4 years, so I can't complain.
0 Kudos
alizona
Level 7

Are there any devices in the current lineup that have Ethernet, USB and HDMI jacks? That was the primary reason (along with supporting the ShowtimeAnytime channel) I chose the 2XS to replace my original 2000c. I hear it said quite often that the 2XS is outdated, underpowered and obsolete. I bought both of my Rokus to watch video from the internet on my TV.
When I press play on my underperforming and underpowered 2XS it plays the video. What does yours do when you press play?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Everything has HDMI. The Ultra (4660) is the only current model with either a USB or Ethernet port. Remember that it is not a gigabit port, just "regular" Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). The previous version of the Ultra (4640) also had both, the Premiere+ had Ethernet but no USB, and two generations ago the Roku 4 had both. Three generations ago even more had both, but I wouldn't get something so old myself. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"alizona" wrote:
Are there any devices in the current lineup that have Ethernet, USB and HDMI jacks? That was the primary reason (along with supporting the ShowtimeAnytime channel) I chose the 2XS to replace my original 2000c. I hear it said quite often that the 2XS is outdated, underpowered and obsolete. I bought both of my Rokus to watch video from the internet on my TV.

When I press play on my underperforming and underpowered 2XS it plays the video. What does yours do when you press play?

If a Roku 2XS, or any Roku device, works then it works. It becomes an issue when it stops working, as in the case OP was describing. I'd never suggest replacing a perfectly good Roku with a new one just to have a newer one. But I'd also never suggest buying an older Roku if the need for another device exists.

Regarding your Roku 2XS, yes, it is underpowered compared to newer devices and doesn't perform as well as newer devices. But, unless it's not functioning, or apps you want are no longer supported -- that's coming eventually -- then as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Until it starts acting up, or apps stop being supported, there's no reason to do anything.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos