Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bohatir
Level 7

Is Roku Ultra full of problems for me only?

I just want to know before I return my new Ultra. Is it full of problems for everyone? Or just me?

I have to restart the roku if I pause an external media device video, if I finish one video and go to the next video I also have to restart. Sometimes I just have to restart 2-3 times because it doesn't see the external media drive. Other times it tells me the media format isn't recognized, so I have to restart again. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Is Roku Ultra full of problems for me only?

I just installed an Ultra yesterday and we've had it running pretty much ever since.

I've been pleased for the most part. Very. I only briefly experimented with the usb  drive.

I had it formatted with NTFS that didnt fly so I reformatted it with FAT 3 which worked.

And I played something in .mkv which played nicely. Are you using the Default Media app?

Past experience taught me Roku's are finicky with thumb drives. I dont recommend doing

anything beyond recommendations. I dont really use the USB much anymore I just pipe

it over from my computer into another HDMI port.

The USB thing wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. There are better ways and components

to watch Media. And this isnt Roku's big feature.

But the USB port does make a WONDERFUL place for  me to get power for my Digital antenna that I rarely use.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Bohatir
Level 7

I am using the default media app. The portable hard drive is not a thumb drive, and it worked fine with my old roku for 4+ years. But on the new ultra, I have reached my limits with the number of issues it has.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

All the problems you note have to do with the USB port and Media drive.

this is not the main function of Roku's.. The USB media port and software is fussy. If you want to mount such a large Volume I would recommend another means. Why not use the old Roku for this if it worked for you?

I'm an old Movie buff.

I have terabytes of Movies and various Media on several Hard drives.

I Bypass the Roku entirely and pipe it over to another HDMI port directly.

My Ultra seems to work well for its stated purpose. I'm pleased with it thus far.

A lot of people like to vent their frustrations here.

Good Luck

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos