Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanroz
Channel Surfer

Intermittent lip synch issues with private listening

When in private listening mode using iOS mobile app and wired headphones, I often experience lip synch issues.  

In support pages it mentions that there is an audio delay feature on the mobile app that can be activated but when I looked at my mobile app, no such feature exists.   

It’s a real shame that it was taken out.  Isn’t this like going backwards, taking away important features?

any idea how I can address the lip synch issues?

9 REPLIES 9
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Intermittent lip synch issues with private listening

Audio sync issues are common in the streaming world. First start off my restarted your Roku, modem and router. Secondly which iPhone do you have? What version of iOS are you running? Have you restarted your phone? I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3.1 and when I use my AirPods I have no audio sync issues. 

0 Kudos
Stanroz
Channel Surfer

lip sync is not common for me since I only see it with private listening intermittently.

I will restart as you recommended.  I have iphone xr and am running whichever is latest ios on it.

But why would they eliminate a feature as useful as audio delay from the mobile app? talk about going backwards!

My other complaint is that I can't seem to find any technical info on how private listening is implemented.  Is it similar to bluetooth or to airplay?  Is the audio stream lossy or lossless?

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

It is not lip sync. It's audio sync. You can look it up. Happens to people using Netflix, Prime, Hulu. Even without headphones. This is why newer TV's and soundbars have audio correction. If your phone is not using the latest version of iOS then you need to update your phone. Also be sure your using the latest version of the Roku Mobile app. If you are using the Roku Mobile app then use any Bluetooth headphones or ear buds that are synced to your phone. Open the Roku Mobile app and press the headphone button. The audio will stop playing on your TV and start on your headphones. It's thats easy. The app works through your WiFI

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

No technical info needed. If you have the Roku remote with a headphone jack it the audio comes through that from the remotes WiFi signal. If you have Bluetooth headphones or earbuds your audio will come through that with no wires. It syncs using WiFI 

0 Kudos
Stanroz
Channel Surfer

Ok I stand corrected… audio sync.

my iOS is 15.3.1.

just erased and re downloaded  the roku mobile app.

yes my sound-bar has the audio delay feature.  

But with headphones I am relying on roku stick and the mobile app, and mobil app no longer has that audio delay feature.

I don’t have Bluetooth headphones.  my headphones are directly wired to the iPhone via Apple’s adapter.

I hope restarting everything fixes the issue because private listening is an extremely useful feature since I can avoid having to run a 12 foot optical cable and buying  a special optical to headphone DAC/Amp.

thanks for your help

Stanroz
Channel Surfer

And technical info is needed to tell me if the wireless audio stream is lossy as in Bluetooth or lossless as in Apple Airplay.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Just go get a pair of Bluetooth earbuds. You can buy a pair for cheap. 

0 Kudos
Stanroz
Channel Surfer

not interested in bluetooth or earbuds.  I like my overear wired headphones just fine.

dxhwui43
Reel Rookie

If you have got the Roku faraway with a headphone jack it the audio comes thru that from the remotes WiFi signal. If you've got Bluetooth headphones or earbuds your audio will come via that without a wires. It syncs the use of WiFI

0 Kudos