Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heathershrub
Level 7

Intermittent Screeching / Chirping / Pop

So I have been thinking my speakers are going out on my T.V. and I am going to have to buy a new T.V. because for the past week (give or take) I have been hearing these painfully awful electronic screeching chirps.  Might hear it 5 times in half an hour, might not hear it for an hour or more.

It just occurred to me that I hardly use my T.V. for anything other than Netflix played through Roku and every time I have heard the sound I have been streaming Netflix on my Roku.

A quick search has shown MANY Roku users with this issue, but Roku says it is resolve.

This literally JUST started for me.  How can I find out if Roku is the source so I don't buy a new T.V.?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Intermittent Screeching / Chirping / Pop

I hear it only in Netflix from time to time.
If I hear it twice in a few minutes, I exit Netflix & return...this usually fixes the problem.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
Mkreutsberg
Level 7

So, i tried the above and I still get intermittent to frequent chriping/squelching sounds when watching netflix only. Anyone still having issues?
0 Kudos
steven619
Level 7

Same issue here .. Ultra only. My other 5 Roku devices of different models work fine. 

Called Roku support. They just want to send me to Netflix and I'm having a hard time convincing them they have reports of the same issue on their own Forum. 
0 Kudos
Justin1524
Level 7

Same issue, makes watching Netflix unbearable with the sound cutting out periodically and occasional loud chirps. The only way I've found to fix is select-up>audio options>choose non-5-1 original stereo.

I'm using a Roku Ultra with automatic firmware updating turned on and an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver and a Samsung UN55JS8500 - all devices using updated firmware. Please, please I'm at a point where my Roku 3 on my lame non-4k bedroom TV works better than my Roku Ultra on my expensive Living Room 4K Ultra TV. I've also tried swapping HDMI cables with no luck. It clearly is a software issue with the Roku.

Justin A.
Portland, Oregon
0 Kudos
steven619
Level 7

In Roku I switched from 5.1 DST to Stereo .. no chirping .. I turned on 5.1 .. chirping. 
Netflix only .. no other issues .. and Ultra only .. no other models. 
0 Kudos