Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gertzfamily
Level 7

Intermittent Black Screen

Hello!

Recently I have been getting a Black Screen and a few seconds of silence during playback. I am using a Roku Premier and the Software is updated to current release. This only happens using the Roku on this TV all other devices stream without issue.

TIA

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Intermittent Black Screen

@Gertzfamily

Thanks for the note.

Does this issue occur when watching a specific channel or does it happen on all channels? Have you tried plugging the device into another HDMI port on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
markscohen
Level 7

I am having the same issue. I checked the connection and see that the Signal Strength is "excellent" and that the download speed is 1Mbps (which is surprising, as the rest of the devices on this router are seeing close to 100 Mbps. The system associated automatically with wireless channel 1.

Picture quality is somewhat erratic. At times, the image resolution degrades and becomes blocky; at other times it is excellent.

I am also hearing intermittent cracks and pops from the left audio channel.

The Roku is connected to a one week old Denon AVR S650H through its HDMI input 1. The AVR output is connected to a Sony XBR65X30 monitor.

I note that the Roku Premiere is quite warm to the touch when plugged in. I don't know if this is normal.

I purchased this ROKU 3920X device in January, 2020.

I'd appreciate your help greatly.

0 Kudos
gcheney
Level 7

I have had this issue for months.  Not consistently...it just happens every few days.  So far a reboot of the Roku Ultra has solved it for a while.  Last night it was while watching a "live" movie on Sling.  However, we had backed it up to the beginning and were fast forwarding through commercials when this started happening.  Screen goes black for 2-5 seconds and then picture returns.  Last night it went in  a set pattern until I rebooted the Ultra.

0 Kudos
Anil1
Level 7

I have been seeing this issue for weeks on My Roku Premiere+.

Can't figure out how to get tech support from Roku. Frustrating...

0 Kudos
David491
Level 7

I also have been having this problem for at least a month on my Premiere +. I'm watching a show and then the screen will go black (Audio will stop) for 2-5 seconds and then the show will come back on, But the show has continued to play while my screen is black. Its happened on various apps so it can't be that. Not sure if there was an update that started this or not. but it is very frustrating!!

0 Kudos
SOS347
Level 7

I have a brand new 42” Samsung TV (32 days old) and I’ve been experiencing intermittent black screen and no audio more and more. It’s happening every couple of minutes now. I’ve had Roku for 7 months and never experienced this before.

It’s not a brand new television. It IS frustrating!

What’s the fix for this?

0 Kudos
podman
Level 7

I have the same problem. It occurs every 2-7 days. My only work around has been going into settings and performing a system restart.

This is getting old but it is the only thing that works even if it is for a couple of days.

0 Kudos