Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chotzey63
Level 7

Intermittent Black Screen on all Apps during movies and shows from Roku

About 1 month ago everything was working fine. We have a Sanyo Plasma Tv (10yrs old ) and Roku 3. We added the Pluto app. then everything went wrong. We since removed that app. First thing happened was HDCP error code. We unplugged everything, changed HDMI port, and HDMI cable, re-set Roku box, checked settings on Roku box and Tv and we still get the HDCP error code. Now, while watching any apps, Sling, Netflix etc. We can be watching a movie on Netflix and we keep getting a intermittent black screen that pops up for about 1 or 2 seconds then back to the movie. This keeps happening throughout the day, everyday for the last month, no matter what app we are on or what we are watching. What is causing this ? I love my Roku, but cant deal with this. Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
fluke
Level 13

Re: Intermittent Black Screen on all Apps during movies and shows from Roku

@chotzey63 wrote:

About 1 month ago everything was working fine. We have a Sanyo Plasma Tv (10yrs old ) and Roku 3. We added the Pluto app. then everything went wrong. We since removed that app. First thing happened was HDCP error code. We unplugged everything, changed HDMI port, and HDMI cable, re-set Roku box, checked settings on Roku box and Tv and we still get the HDCP error code. Now, while watching any apps, Sling, Netflix etc. We can be watching a movie on Netflix and we keep getting a intermittent black screen that pops up for about 1 or 2 seconds then back to the movie. This keeps happening throughout the day, everyday for the last month, no matter what app we are on or what we are watching. What is causing this ? I love my Roku, but cant deal with this. Thanks

By Roku 3 you mean the one released in 2013 (model 4200) or the one released in 2015 (model 4230)?

My best guess as the next troubleshooting step would be the replace the power supply but they seem to no longer offer an official power supply.  Amazon has third-party power supplies that claim to be compatible but I have no experience with any of them myself.

Regardless of which media player you get, getting 5 years of life before failure is good.  I usually expect a MTBF of around 3 years.  It might be time to just get a newer model.  This might sound really odd but I found the newer remote location fo the "OK" button to be much better placed than it was with the Roku 3.

Biggest downside to upgrading off the Roku 3... no more Angry Birds in Space.  It is not really a huge loss but disappointing.  If you never play it or rarely played it then that probably won't be that big a deal.

0 Kudos
AChanceFind
Level 9

Re: Intermittent Black Screen on all Apps during movies and shows from Roku

Are you still able to play Angry Birds Space on your Roku 3? Mine stopped working a month ago after an update to 9.4.0 and hasn't worked since even after another minor build update. Some other users reported the same thing but I am still not sure if it's just a local corrupted install. Either way there is no way to re-installl it as if you uninstall you will not be able to get it back. 

0 Kudos