Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitent audio after 8.1 upgrade V3

I have a Roku/Hitachi TV.  I checked for the update, but it says that it is currently up to date (Build 4139).  Will there be a version that can be applied to the Roku-TV's?  It does not appear to be available for the TV's.

I also experience the audio drop out.  I'm using the audio from the TV, no sound bar.  Apparently there was an update for the Roku Ultra that fixed the problem.  But there doesn't appear to be an update for the Roku TV's.

The only workaround is to completely remove the power from the TV for 30-60 seconds and then restart.  This is annoying and the update for the Roku Ultra should also be made available for Roku TV's.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Intermitent audio after 8.1 upgrade V3

TV firmware has substantial differences from the players, and between different brands of TVs, so you can't reference one version for the other. To my memory, this is the first I've heard of a Roku TV experiencing audio dropouts. I have two, and both are used daily. I haven't had any audio issues with either. Just to show you there are differences between products, my Insignia TV (24" 720p set) is on firmware version 8.1.0 build 4140, and it's been on that version since July according to the update screen. I can't compare it to my Sharp, as that TV is in the beta group and might not be on a production version.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
TV firmware has substantial differences from the players, and between different brands of TVs, so you can't reference one version for the other. To my memory, this is the first I've heard of a Roku TV experiencing audio dropouts. I have two, and both are used daily. I haven't had any audio issues with either. Just to show you there are differences between products, my Insignia TV (24" 720p set) is on firmware version 8.1.0 build 4140, and it's been on that version since July according to the update screen. I can't compare it to my Sharp, as that TV is in the beta group and might not be on a production version.

I can appreciate that you are not experiencing any problems, but that does nothing to help me.  Are you suggesting I should just throw my current TV out and by the exact same TV you have?  What possible recourse do I have?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Of course not. You should expect your issue to be addressed. They have just rolled out a fix the the Roku players that appears to have resolved the issue for them. I can't say if they were aware of a similar issue with Roku TVs, but with this fix under their belt they should be able to address the problem with the TVs much faster than they did with the players. I know they are testing firmware updates all the time, but I can't say if this issue is currently under test. I'm not a Roku employee, just another user like yourself. I was just pointing out that version numbers between the Roku TVs and Roku players usually don't match up with each other. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
Of course not. You should expect your issue to be addressed. They have just rolled out a fix the the Roku players that appears to have resolved the issue for them. I can't say if they were aware of a similar issue with Roku TVs, but with this fix under their belt they should be able to address the problem with the TVs much faster than they did with the players. I know they are testing firmware updates all the time, but I can't say if this issue is currently under test. I'm not a Roku employee, just another user like yourself. I was just pointing out that version numbers between the Roku TVs and Roku players usually don't match up with each other. 

I didn't mean to sound short and apologize if that was the way it came across.  Anyway, I have opened ticket 1934890 to address the issue.  We'll see what support has to say.
Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos
TenMinJoe
Level 7

Those of you experiencing this issue, we've just enabled manual updates for 4640 models that should fix your issue.

I have a Roku Express, model 3900EU, and I continue to experience this issue. Can I expect that an update will be released for my model too, please? Thanks.
0 Kudos

[table][tr][td]Hi 
Your request #(1934890) has been marked as resolved.
To add additional comments to this ticket , reply to this email.
Issue : Questions about setup or using my Roku

Angelus, Sep 25, 07:09 PDT:
Hi,

Thank you for the email. You can try performing system update and system restart. To do that go to setting>system>system update or system restart. If that does not fix the issue you will have to get in touch with the TV manufacturer (Hitachi). We are referring you to them because they manufacture the device and they will have the advance troubleshooting steps. 

Regards,
Angelus
[/font][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
This was Roku support's reply to my question.  Basically, try to do a system update (I did that, of course *before* opening the ticket).  If that doesn't work, contact Hitachi.
I am sorely disappointed in their response considering the amount of effort that went into correcting the Roku Ultra issue.  I would think, on some base level the code for the Roku system is common among all Roku devices.  And that they differ only when dealing with the output (HDMI/S-Video/TV) and the sound.  And that the update should be available to all Roku devices.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@SandraRomeoNevada : What firmware release is your Hitachi TV running?
0 Kudos
Starce
Level 7

I am having the issue as well. TCL version 8.1.0 4139
0 Kudos
gregrobbins
Level 7

The same audio dropout problem started for me in recent months as well, presumably due to a software update. 

Audio dropouts have occurred streaming from Netflix and YouTube and playing back local network files using the set's Roku Media Player.

Unplugging the set's power briefly fixes the audio dropout problem, though it recurs a few days later.

Roku TV 6110X, TCL 55UP120, Software 8.1.0 build 4139-22
0 Kudos