Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Critesgene

Insufficient power message when plugged into wall outlet

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Insufficient power message when plugged into wall outlet

@Critesgene 

Not all Roku devices have the same power requirements. It is always helpful to provide the Roku model, to include the model number.

So, what can you tell us about your device?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Critesgene,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I understand that you are receiving a message of "Insufficient power" in your Roku device.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot power issues: What should I do if the red light is flashing or I see a "low-power" warning? | Official Roku Suppor... 

1. Verify that you are using the USB cable that came with your Roku player
    • If you are using any USB cable other the one that came with your Roku player, replace it with the one that came with your Roku player.
  2. Try a different USB Port
    • Some USB ports have different power characteristics. Connecting your Roku player or Roku Streaming Stick to a different USB port on your TV may resolve the issue.
  3. Connect power to power-outlet
    • Using the included power cord and power adapter*, connect the Roku player or Roku Streaming Stick to a working power outlet in the wall.
    • Connecting to a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

If you are still having any low power issues after following these steps, please provide the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Zzmay909

So this actually happened to me recently and I think I might’ve found the solution! Hopefully this applies to you, if not, I’m sure it’ll helps others in the future dealing w this troubleshooting! When I first got my Roku express, I used all the associated chords and adapters (plugged into the wall). Didn’t have a problem w it for a few yrs. then a few months ago, I had this issue is the insufficient power. After MANY frustrating and unsuccessful attempts to fix it, I decided to plug my Roku express USB into my tv’s USB port. Suddenly, the problem went away!! Of course the only thing is that since your Roku express isn’t hooked up to a wall outlet, every time you turn your TV off, the Roku will also power off; Vice versa— every time you turn your tv on, the Roku express will do its start up. This won’t reset the Roku programming you created, but it’ll just be annoying to wait for it to power on every time you want to use it. Today, I decided to switch back to using the wall outlet source instead of using my tv and so far, no issues 😊  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Zzmay909 

If the USB is working better in supplying power than the power supply that came with the Roku, then something is either wrong with that power supply, or with that outlet.

Still, glad things are working for you.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Pauljayakumar
Reel Rookie

Hi I'm getting the insufficient power message even though they are plugged into wall outlet. The make is Roku premiere

YH003W303211

Could you please help with this.
0 Kudos
renojim

@Pauljayakumar, I get this occasionally.  I've always been able to get rid of it by unplugging the USB power adapter from the outlet for a few seconds before plugging it back in.  Simply unplugging the cable while leaving the adapter plugged in doesn't do it.  If that doesn't work I'd suggest trying another USB power adapter if you have one.  It has to be capable of putting out at least 1 Amp.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Pauljayakumar
Reel Rookie

Thank you renojlm. I tried unplugging adapter from wall outlet and tried after few minutes still getting the same issue. I tried with another adapter too which also did not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Pauljayakumar, as a last resort you could try a factory reset.  Otherwise I think you'll have to look into a warranty exchange assuming it still qualifies unless @RokuDanny-R has another suggestion.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058-step-by-step-instructions-for-returns-and-warranty-replac...

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Pauljayakumar
Reel Rookie

Thank you renojlm. I tried that too still I get the low power error on the front but no further action I can take. On the background because I reset it has language selection option.

@RokuDanny-R could you please let know whether still the device is in warranty to replace it.

0 Kudos