Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chaslen
Channel Surfer

Re: Insufficient Power Warning

Jump to solution

Hi to DavidB65 and benJet,

I have no idea, clue, thought, etc why Roku will not respond to all these comments, especially when customers like you, relay some well researched attempts for a fix. Personally, with 35 years of troubleshooting, I have nothing more to add to this community. Like Captain Smith said on that famous ship (guess the name), "What ice". Companies that use an 'email chat' for correcting problems, in my opinion, are working on the cheap and will never improve their product. I'm at a lost of typing to understand this company. So, I hope everyone will find a better solution cause it ain't coming from Roku.

Chaslen

Gsmalls

Re: 5 mos. Roku quit

Jump to solution

Hello., I'm having the same issue and I have tried all of the trouble shooting steps...

Jpasqua

Jump to solution

Same issue just popped up for me. Been working just fine for 2 1/2 years. Now getting the intermittent “low power” issue after no changes to my setup. My unit will go hours operating just fine, then randomly hit the issue. Sometimes just once and a reset fixes it. Other times I get a few messages in a row even after a power cycle.

Hopefully this is a software issue and a future update can resolve. 

DavidB65
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update - I tried changing power supplies on the chance that the Express actually was actually trying to draw more power. The brick that came with it was rated at 5V/1A, and I switched to a 5V/1.55A brick I had for my cell phone, which works fine. The low power warning continued to occur (and the draw when it is in the error state is 5.04V/.68A, well below the rating for the power supply. I also disabled adblocking to see if there was an issue there.)

This reinforces the theory that it is a software problem from the most recent update.

This is extremely frustrating, and while I did receive a reply that the support team will investigate, I don't hold out much confidence that this will be resolved - given the forum history, this has been a known problem for quite some time, and no resolution has been implemented. What needs to happen is that a means is made available to revert this to an earlier software version, but as with any closed system, that supposes that Roku is willing to do so, which I doubt, given that they don't even provide support options for these earlier units.

I have ordered a Firestick, which arrives early next week. If that is reliable, this will be my last Roku, and I'm not going to be recommending them to anyone. Even the Firestick is a gamble, since it is yet another closed system. If I have problems with it, my next route will be an unlocked Android box or Raspberry Pi that I can control the builds on.

Chaslen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey DavidB65

Thanks for the information and good luck with the Firestick. I have no experience with the Firestick so you might be on to something there. I'm not going to continue with the community so this is my final post. I see nothing changing with Roku, so it's time to move on. Maybe 2021 will allow us to move away from the tv some.

Take care

Chaslen

0 Kudos
benJet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For everyone, I received the Firestick. Right out of the box it is a more quality product than the Roku. It would take 30 seconds to try to rewind a scene ten seconds on the Roku Plex app. On the Firestick, the process is instantaneous. I have the least expensive Firestick. It's the same one that my son has had for two years. He brought his Firestick at the same time I bought my last Roku. His stick is still going strong.

I hate to give up on the little guy and now have to give my money to Goliath but when the little guy basically says "screw you", I say "screw them". If Roku would have just told the truth, or told us anything practical, I would have given them anther chance. Telling us to go into the settings of a non-functioning Roku to retrieve the serial number is insulting.

Anjin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's a shame, because the Plex interface is so good on the Roku compared with other devices. I have no idea why for example you can't easily remove an item from a playlist or set the subtitles to only appear on replay when using the Android version of Plex. In fact, the various apps are so different you could be excused for thinking that the teams working on each platform had never seen a screenshot from any other version.

Tachleis

Jump to solution

I'm getting an insufficient power error and I have it plugged into a wall outlet using the cable and power box that came with the device.

ixtasis23
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm so tired of this issue. It's a defective product, not the usb cable. 

Michaell2

Jump to solution

We are having same issues.  It says insufficient power.  We have had this device for 6 to 7 months.  We use the cord and power adapter that came with the roku. We also tried different cord with roku power adapter and different power adapter with roku cord. And a different cord and different power adapter together. Sill insufficient power notice.  Also tried unplugging for 24 hours.  Sill the same thing.  Is there a warranty on this. Bought it from Amazon so we can provide proof of purchase  thank you Michael