Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvnettv
Level 7

Infinite dhcp offer discover loop

Greetings,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I recently set up an Archer D7 router paired with a Netgear Gateway Max cable modem in bridged mode. This is a home network with 5 wired devices and half a dozen wireless ones. Everything seems to be working mostly fine but recently, my roku express (wireless) is having issues. It looses connectivity for no apparent reason.
I checked the Archer D7 logs and can see pages and pages of DISCOVER/OFFER messages. I can tell from the mac address that the DISCOVER is from the wireless roku. Furthermore, the IP that the router is sending back is the IP that the roku was just using.
Furthermore, I upped my DHCP lease time to the D7 max (2880 minutes) and reset both devices yesterday, so I can't see why the roku would even be requesting a new I.P. address.
I'm not sure how to debug this further. At this point, I'm not even sure which device is at fault, and this was all working pretty well a couple of days ago. Note that all other devices seem to have connectivity so my feeling is that that this problem has to do with the roku, and not the router.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Infinite dhcp offer discover loop

I would first suggest changing channels on your wireless. If your router offers 5GHz, make sure you are using that connection. I gave my 5 GHz boxes a different SSID to make sure I have the 5 side and not the 2.4 connection. Notice a huge improvement using 5GHz. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gvnettv
Level 7

My router does support 5ghz.  Both the 2.4 and 5ghz wireless channels are active but this brings up an interesting question.  My router is broadcasting both of these with the same SSID.  Is that wrong?  Should I rename one SSID_5 and the other SSID_2?  What is the standard practice?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"gvnettv" wrote:
My router does support 5ghz.  Both the 2.4 and 5ghz wireless channels are active but this brings up an interesting question.  My router is broadcasting both of these with the same SSID.  Is that wrong?  Should I rename one SSID_5 and the other SSID_2?  What is the standard practice?

I don't think there is a standard practice. I name mine differently simply for identification. But before I did that they used the same name. In fact, I used the same SSID on several different routers in my home, so I often wasn't certain which one I was using. That was the primary reason I renamed them.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gvnettv
Level 7

I can see where you might want to have different names for the different frequencies, but I would think that keeping the same SSID across different routers/AP's for each frequency would be a hard requirement.
0 Kudos
gvnettv
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I would first suggest changing channels on your wireless. If your router offers 5GHz, make sure you are using that connection. I gave my 5 GHz boxes a different so SSID to make sure I have the 5 side and not the 2.4 connection. Notice a huge improvement using 5GHz. 

So I uniquely named the SSID's and discovered the Roku express will only connect at 2.4GHz so your suggestion will not help me.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Well, depends on how many routers you have. I've disabled the wifi in my primary DSL router because that piece of Actiontec garbage was always locking up with it on. disabling wireless seems to have resolved it. So right now I only have two routers (set to act as wireless access points), one upstairs and one downstairs, each with the same SSID on 2.4 and 5 GHz. My devices connect to whichever is the strongest when they first enter the house/garage.
Dan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"gvnettv" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
I would first suggest changing channels on your wireless. If your router offers 5GHz, make sure you are using that connection. I gave my 5 GHz boxes a different so SSID to make sure I have the 5 side and not the 2.4 connection. Notice a huge improvement using 5GHz. 

So I uniquely named the SSID's and discovered the Roku express will only connect at 2.4GHz so your suggestion will not help me.

I didn't realize the Express boxes weren't dual band, but I just checked the specs and you are correct. Bummer. I guess the next thing it to try a different channel.
Dan
0 Kudos
gvnettv
Level 7

So, I renamed the SSIDs to SSID_2 and SSID_5.  The Roku Express is now the only device on SSID_2, and the system has been stable for at least a couple of days.  I'm cautiously  optimistic that this has solved the problem.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Nice work. Fingers crossed!
Dan
0 Kudos