Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebbe1954
Level 7

Icons not showing up

I have a Roku 2 and lately the icons aren't showing up - just blank boxes. If I unplug and reboot everything returns, but I've having to do this more often. Is this unit dying? Is there Roku 2 maintenance I can do?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Icons not showing up

Main menu icons, your photo icons, what? More info needed.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
rebbe1954
Level 7

Are you raising a crop of dental floss?

Not sure how to explain icons better than icons. Let's try - when I go to Netflix for example (and this happens on ALL the channels, not just Netflix) instead of getting an icon for what show is available, I just get a blank gray box.

Unfortunately I can't place a screen shot of this into this forum, nor is it allowing me to link. So imagine a screen with 20 icons for numerous shows that are available, but instead of seeing the icon/image/photo for that show all you're getting is a blank gray box.

Avoid the yellow snow.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Icons not showing means that your connection to the server is bad/slow. As you say, rebooting often helps, but your Roku may be going bad, especially if you are wired (you don't specify if wifi or not; if wifi your router may be getting interference as well).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
KoolNana52
Level 7

I've been having the same issue past few weeks.  At first I thought it was only happening on Hulu, but in point of fact it's also on Netflix, Amazon, etc.  The only thing that "fixes" it is restarting Roku.  I did try changing HDMI cable and thought that had corrected the problem, but a couple days later it happened again.  My Roku is 2-3 years old, but I don't plan to replace it anytime soon; it still does what I need it to do, and I don't much care for the new "features" I've been hearing about on newer models (can't turn off auto play in Hulu, auto play of previews in Netflix), so guess I'll just restart it every few days for the time being. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"rebbe1954" wrote:

Not sure how to explain icons better than icons. Let's try - when I go to Netflix for example (and this happens on ALL the channels, not just Netflix) instead of getting an icon for what show is available, I just get a blank gray box.

Unfortunately I can't place a screen shot of this into this forum, nor is it allowing me to link. So imagine a screen with 20 icons for numerous shows that are available, but instead of seeing the icon/image/photo for that show all you're getting is a blank gray box.

Avoid the yellow snow.

That's a rather rude response to someone who is extremely capable and willing to assist you. And no, there's more than one type of icon, as he suggested. Is it the channel icons when you are on the main "home" screen? Icons within a specific channel? 
And yes, you gave more detail in this post. As someone else mentioned, it is usually (but not always) an issue with your Internet connection. On my home network I never have an issue. But when using my Roku on a hotel wireless, I often see what you are mentioning, especially with YouTube.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Jillski
Level 7

My icons are not showing up also. When I go to Amazon they are just grey boxes with the image of a tv in it. The same for all the apps I have such as my local tv news stations or Euronews. Same grey tv set outline.  I just changed the HDMI cable so I don't think it is that. 
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

"rebbe1954" wrote:
Avoid the yellow snow.

Ahh, another fan. The pygmy pony is saddled up and ready to ride into the dawn.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
rebbe1954
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"rebbe1954" wrote:

Avoid the yellow snow.

That's a rather rude response to someone who is extremely capable and willing to assist you. And no, there's more than one type of icon, as he suggested. Is it the channel icons when you are on the main "home" screen? Icons within a specific channel? 
And yes, you gave more detail in this post. As someone else mentioned, it is usually (but not always) an issue with your Internet connection. On my home network I never have an issue. But when using my Roku on a hotel wireless, I often see what you are mentioning, especially with YouTube.
0 Kudos
rebbe1954
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
"rebbe1954" wrote:
Avoid the yellow snow.

Ahh, another fan. The pygmy pony is saddled up and ready to ride into the dawn.

Not everyone caught the joke. My sense of humor hasn't been the same since weasels ripped my flesh.
0 Kudos