Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron_H
Level 7

I would like to stream channels from my Roku onto my PC

Could anyone tell me how? (windows 7)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: I would like to stream channels from my Roku onto my PC

Roku streams out the HDMI output. Unless your PC has an HDMI input (it probably doesn't) you can't do that.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Very few computers have video inputs, and those that do are almost always analog connections. There certainly are USB devices that add video input to a computer. I have one on my computer for copying old family VHS tapes to the computer. But since one of my computer monitors is a 43" 4K Roku TV, it really isn't necessary to send anything from a Roku player.  Smiley LOL
But if you are referring to sending whatever the Roku is streaming to a computer over your wireless, then DBDukes offered the correct answer. Nope, can't do it without spending lots and lots of money on hardware. And I mean lots. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

What do you mean by stream to your PC?  What are you looking to do?  Do you want to input the output of the Roku into your actual computer?  That would be harder and I believe it would require some type of capture card.  OR, do you want to stream to your computer's monitor?  That is a lot easier, many monitors have HDMI inputs that you could use.  Audio is another story, and unless you monitor has speakers, you may have to setup an amplified speaker system.  

I had an extra Roku Stick and the thought of plugging into my computer monitor came to mind, but then I realized that anything that I can stream on the Roku is also available thru that channel's website.  The benefit of a Roku is bringing streaming to something that isn't a computer.

Edited:  atc posted while I was typing this Smiley Sad  
0 Kudos
trb0523
Level 7

trying to use HP ZR30w monitor with Roku express. Purchased DVI-HDMI, Display Port to HDMI and USB to HDMI connectors. This monitor does not have HDMI port.  Have tried all 3 and cannot get "display" to work. Roku is plugged in using one of these HDMI adapters. Monitor Power light is on, but screen is blank. Getting info from HP is impossible maybe due to age of monitor. It's a great monitor and would like to use for watching Roku. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or how can  I find out if monitor is compatible to use?
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"trb0523" wrote:
trying to use HP ZR30w monitor with Roku express. Purchased DVI-HDMI, Display Port to HDMI and USB to HDMI connectors. This monitor does not have HDMI port.  Have tried all 3 and cannot get "display" to work. Roku is plugged in using one of these HDMI adapters. Monitor Power light is on, but screen is blank. Getting info from HP is impossible maybe due to age of monitor. It's a great monitor and would like to use for watching Roku. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or how can  I find out if monitor is compatible to use?

Likely HDCP (copy protection) is the issue. If monitor and/or adapter doesn't decode HDCP,  won't work. People in the past have had many issues with DVI-to-HDMI ports with Roku in general. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Most of the major channels available on the Roku already have a PC equivalent app.. I've seen this request in the past and not understood why people wanted it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dwelch67
Level 7

I put an HDMI splitter between the roku and a computer monitor that didnt support HDCP, the splitter did and the setup works fine.  I use headphones for audio, so no need for TV speakers.  other setups, capture cards, etc should benefit from the same HDCP problem.
0 Kudos