Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

I need to unplug my Roku device because the sound just turns off. Is this common with Roku?

I find that i have to unplug my Roku Premier quite often due to the audio sounding like they are underwater and now the sound just stops working.  Is this a common issue with Roku? Cutting the cord is more work and could cost me more because I will need to buy another product.

Labels (1)
20 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: I need to unplug my Roku device because the sound just turns off. Is this common with Roku?

@catandsteve 

Thanks for the post.

Is this issue happening on a specific channel playing a certain title or is this occurring on all channels?

Have you tried using another HDMI port on the TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the device? Does that resolve the issue you are experiencing?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: I need to unplug my Roku device because the sound just turns off. Is this common with Roku?

I too am experiencing  the same issue. It just started after a year. 

Highlighted
Level 8

I personally dont think spending more money on cables is an answer. My sound worked fine before ROKU.  We were watching tv last night and suddenly the sound got louder and started vibrating then the sound lowered back to normal but still had the vibration (sounds like underwater). I had to unplug the Roku and plug back in. Very annoying how often I have to replug the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes.  Nothing like this happened during my first couple of months.  Now, I have to unplug Roku in order to bring sound back to my TV.  What's up with this??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Danny,

I have Roku express.  Used it for about 4 months and now I must unplug the device whenever I receive no sound from my tv.  Nothing advanced about my use, I don't stream games, etc.   I do pause programs at times, but mainly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime.  My Roku also gets way too hot but I'll deal with that another time.  I just need help with the sound system.  

I tagged myself in on another request and your reply to them.  I hope you can help me with this problem.  

Thank you,

Roku serial #  is C338A5951388

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It happens on all channels. I have tried another HDMI port, same result. SN# CT3941434888

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@catandsteve 

Thanks for the post.

Is this issue happening on a specific channel playing a certain title or is this occurring on all channels?

Have you tried using another HDMI port on the TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the device? Does that resolve the issue you are experiencing?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same issue as well and it's been going on for a few months now. I have to do a system restart in order to fix the issue. Here is the information for my device:

Model: 3900K

SN: TG006X264147

Software version: 9.3.0 * build 4170-S1

Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've had this issue as well and I have never been able to resolve it with the hdmi cord. I've only been able to fix by unplugging the power cord to the roku and then plugging it back in. It will usually work for most of the day, but then the next day the same thing. 

0 Kudos