Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goodspeeds
Level 7

I'm not dumb- but my TV is...

First off - I love my Roku!  But - hoping someone can assist me here.  We have a decent tv.  Its a 70 inch tv and during a recent storm, the HD got fried. When we try to plug anything into the HDMI slots - its bright pink.  The coloring does not work (for anything, blue ray, Roku, etc.)  So - we have just been watching things in non-HD.  Just not ready to purchase another tv yet. 
I purchased the Roku Express + I think for this tv so I could hook up the TV using the component cables.  I can not get my sound bar to work now.  Even if I only plug in the yellow cable from the Roku and use the Red and White from the sound bar.  I still don't get any sound.  Help.  Any suggestions? I know the real answer is to buy a new TV with HDMI... but - its just not in the budget right now.  Any suggestions.  Smiley Sad 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: I'm not dumb- but my TV is...

Roku Express+ has composite output, not component. Composite is yellow video, red/white audio. Component is red/green/blue video, red/white audio.

If your TV's component input is a hybrid input -- that is, it also supports composite -- the green is usually the one to plug the yellow composite video plug into.

Try connecting directly to the TV -- bypassing the sound bar -- for the red/white audio. Don't confuse the TV's red component video jack with the red audio jack.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Just curious - what's the make/model of the TV?
0 Kudos
goodspeeds
Level 7

Thank you Basil.. I will try.  But I think I may have said component and meant composite - i don't know.  Before I purchased the Roku, I had the sound bar plugged into the red and white (separate from the red/white/green/blue, etc.) and it worked... but now - I thought to get the Roku working I had to plug it into the top yellow, red and white.  Maybe that's my problem.. if I switch the Roku to the other yellow.. but I'm not sure if I have 2 yellows, so I will try green.  I'm at work but will check as soon as I get home shortly.  Thank you SO much for responding.
Heyitsrick... its a Highsense Smart TV.. it was a great tv when we got it.. reasonable priced and works fine its just that the storm and power outage did something to the HDMI.. so we cant get that to work at all anymore.  Smiley Sad
Listening to the tv from the tv volume is horrible.. i miss the sound bar - I cant hear anything and its not very clear.  crazy technology. 
thank you BOTH.  cant wait to try switching the yellow to the green when I get home.
0 Kudos