Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

I hate the new Roku Media Player just updated 06/30/2020

I have said this before when you changed the Roku Media Player in May.  I hate the new interface.  There was no reason to change the way that it worked and the way it looked.  It may not have been as "stylized" as what you have it on now, but it just worked.  The information and the thumbnail picture were bigger and more meaningful.  It is now a small blob on the file lists and means nothing. I also used to be able to play a video for a few seconds and exit out and where it said "Play from the beginning", I could select that and quickly exit out and it would reset that the video had been played.  That no longer works.  The space you are now wasting on the left side of the screen with the "Folders" bar could be eliminated and used for something else (like the larger thumbnail).  As a last thing, even if the video is over 1 gigabyte it only shows as 1GB.  I have videos that are 2GB and larger, but will never see that now so it becomes irrelevant for it to be there.

Why can't you leave the old Roku Media Player out there for those of us that don't want the new interface you seem to be forcing on us?  It worked fine and I loved the interface as it worked because it basically resembled a Windows screen and folder icons.  My wife understood that because it was familiar.  That is gone now because she won't use it the way it is now.

I wish you could just leave well enough alone.

43 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: I hate the new Roku Media Player just updated 06/30/2020

Could not agree more. Can't even set the default dlna server in the new version.  And the text is cropped off on most of the folders so can't tell what you are clicking on.

Videos played fine it's just the interface, it's a but clunky yet.

Highlighted
Level 8

Mine just updated.  Hate the UI.  Does anyone test this software before it sent  out.  It appears not to be the case.  Can you roll the software back.  If that is possible can someone leave instructions.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Level 8

I just discovered that when playing a video and it finishes, the app now starts the next video automatically.  There is no way to stop that that I have found.

Roku... I want my old media player back.  This is ridiculous.

Highlighted

Same here.  I agree with all of you! I am getting older and my eyes are not as good. I have a problem with smaller print/pictures. I don't appreciate having to hunt for my favorite shows.

If they wanted to up date why not add something useful like the ability to separate different ratings. Just because I don't want to see blood and gore before going to bed does not mean I want to watch only things appropriate for a  6 year old. 

Highlighted
Level 8

AGREED!  I have used the media player in my business for over a year and now it is useless.  I spent the time & money on a product that no longer works.  Is there anyway to reverse the update or make the slide show function run continuously again!  Is there a phone number for customer service?

Highlighted
Level 7

You moved it from list view, which enabled me to see the full name of my files, and switched it to row view, which cuts everything off.  It is now a navigational nightmare when you have a bunch of file titles that have the same first 11 characters.  Row view is terribly inefficient to scroll through...my page buttons on the remote no longer help.  On top of poor functionality, the interface also looks dated.  Please change it back.

Highlighted
Level 9

Mine recently updated and I dislike it also. And I don't like the fact that it auto plays either. There is a control for this and I hope it works better for you than for me. You go to the page where it says select media device. On mine I have a USB stick ,Which is highlighted. Use the asterisk button on the remote to bring up help and settings. Then just use your down button to go down to auto run and turn it off. For some reason it does not work on mine and still keeps auto-playing anyway but hopefully it'll work better for you.

Highlighted
Level 8

Deserthawk10:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I had the autorun already turned off.  I am on the Roku 3 (which I love) and It seems to do nothing.  The video after the one I am watching still starts after it finishes.  This is really disgusting.  I wish they would put the old one back out there under some other name and I could be done with this trash.  

I have looked for other solutions and tried them, but none of them works so simply as the previous version of the Roku Media Player without having to load something on my Windows 10 machine.  If I could find something else I would, but until someone builds a better one I guess we're stuck with this mess that they created.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Highlighted
Level 7

The previous version was much better! The most annoying thing is when you are viewing pictures in auto play it goes to a screen saver after just a few minutes.  There is no way to turn it off.  You have to constantly have to fiddle with the remote to avoid going to screen saver.  I'd go back to the previous version if possible. Fix this PLEASE!