Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlorenzo24
Reel Rookie

Re: Voice Description I’ve tried everything you guys have suggested. None of this has worked. Onl...

Jump to solution

These are a lot of questions to answer and my Roku device which was purchased in 2016 does not have the "accessibility" option like the newer versions do. You guys have no way to turn the screen reader off on older models, but yet are very quick to collect payments. It's also a slap in the face to your customers that no support, either online or by phone is available. Again, quick to accept money, but slow to give appropriate service. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice Description I’ve tried everything you guys have suggested. None of this has worked. Onl...

Jump to solution

Hi @rlorenzo24,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help.

What Roku model device are you using? For verification, have you tried to turn off Audio Guide/Screen reader by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly? 

• Note: The screen reader was previously known as Audio Guide.

Here's a link to our support page to find out more about the feature: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Suppor... 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rlorenzo24
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just know that I cannot resolve this issue, not only because this company refuses to have online support, text and email leaving the paying customers not able to resolve issues, but also because the model I bought in 2016 is worthless and cannot TURN OFF a screen reader. 

0 Kudos
TVandeBerg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I read through the article in the link you provided.  This does not seem to be the same issue that people in this string are having.  The problem is the extra 'voice' that is describing what is shown on the screen.  example "a blue bird is flying over a mountain range".  I have tried everything that was suggested in the 9 pages of messages, but nothing has helped.

I have two Roku TVs that have this issue:

Roku TV C124x,  TCL model: 50S421.  

Roku TV C102X, TCL model 65S421.

My TVs have this issue while watching antenna, but not on my streaming.  This is extremely annoying. If this cannot be fixed, I will not be purchasing another Roku product. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@TVandeBerg 

Or press the Options button four times.

https://support.roku.com/article/231584647

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@TVandeBerg, @DBDukes gave the instructions for disabling the screen reader which is not the problem you're having (he should know better Smiley Tongue ).  What you're describing is part of the audio track and is out of Roku's control.  Try pressing the * button and look for an option to change the audio track.  Many videos have one track with the description and one without, although I've never noticed that option on over the air TV, but Roku really, really, doesn't control anything you're getting via an antenna.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@TVandeBerg 

Listen to @renojim 

If he and I offer conflicting advice, always go with him. He absolutely nailed that I confused the Roku Screen Reader with the Accessibility Audio Track.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
webreid
Reel Rookie

Re: How to turn off voice description setting on Roku

Jump to solution

I switched to English Dolby and all good. Thank you for the tip. 

0 Kudos
Gmasami

Jump to solution

It's called Screen Reader.

To turn it off, I went to ROKU - Settings-Accessibility- Screen Reader ( you may have to scroll down menu) and you can toggle OFF.

I have a ROKU Express model 3930X

0 Kudos
SH85

Jump to solution

I am having this issue on Disney+ when trying to watch Jungle Cruise. My accessibility option does not have the audio toggle on/off that everyone mentioned. It didn't do it on the series that was playing on Disney+.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

0 Kudos