Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wade7575
Level 7

How to turn off Roku Ultra.

I got a Roku Ultra to play use at my cottage and so I can take stuff I have purchased from iTunes and play it at my cottage from a usb hard drive but the problem is I can not turn off my Roku Ultra.
The light on my hard drive stays on and I do not want to have unplug it every time I'm done watching something,why include a power button on a remote if it's not going to work.
You would also think that Roku would have thought this threw because all your doing ruining a hard drive if it is left on 24/7 and if I unplug the hard drive from the cable each time then I'm going to wear out the socket on the hard drive.
Also how do eject a usb device on a Roku Ultra. 
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: How to turn off Roku Ultra.

There is no power off on any Roku other than the TVs (which isn't really a power off, just standby) and the Roku 4. Your only option is to unplug the Roku. The power button on the remote is for using CEC or IR control of your TV, not the Roku itself. If you aren't streaming anything, your hard drive should't have any activity. Are you sure it's not just a power light?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
wade7575
Level 7

It's the power light on my hard drive and I feel the hard drive spinning.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

I have a WD My Book 8TB external. Through it's maintenance software I can disable it's automatic sleep routine that kicks in after 30 minutes (adjustable) of inactivity. I did that once when I first got it, but then decided since it doesn't disappear from the list of drives while it's plugged in and spins up fairly quickly when called upon, I'd go ahead and let it take a nap when I wasn't using it.

I'm about ready to get another one. I'll set it to stay awake. I'll probably discover, eventually, the one that sleeps wears out first. Good HDDs are designed to be up and running. Every WD drive I've ever owned has been spun up for it's entire life and never had one under 12 years old fail (searching for some wood to knock on).

IF that drive is a Wall-Mart Brand (something other than WD) - might want to find the software, or unplug the power. 

I've never shut down a Roku either, but have wanted to right before it went out the window - during the 7.7 debacle - restraint ultimately ruled the day.

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
jigrant
Level 7

I'm very disappointed that my new (2016 model?) Ultra doesn't have a power on/off button or auto shutoff. It may not use much power but I have it connected to an internet powerline adapter which does use power and now on constantly even though they have an "inactive" low power feature (trx and rec adapters).

For the short time I use streaming its a waste of power over time, while shortening the life of my adapters. Turning my power bar switch on and off is very inconvenient and not an option for the TV with settings that have to be confirmed.  I have to consider a separate (smart) power bar for the Roku only, pull the power wire every time...or return this thing. What would have been the harm in adding an auto power-off option to the settings?...additional hardware cost?  If maintaining an internet connection is so important as Roku says, then why the "off" feature on the Roku 4 fan model...whatever.  I don't mind waiting for an occasional update if necessary when powering up.  Roku, please make a change/update to your software and fix this oversight.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"jigrant" wrote:
I'm very disappointed that my new (2016 model?) Ultra doesn't have a power on/off button or auto shutoff. It may not use much power but I have it connected to an internet powerline adapter which does use power and now on constantly even though they have an "inactive" low power feature (trx and rec adapters).

For the short time I use streaming its a waste of power over time, while shortening the life of my adapters. Turning my power bar switch on and off is very inconvenient and not an option for the TV with settings that have to be confirmed.  I have to consider a separate (smart) power bar for the Roku only, pull the power wire every time...or return this thing. What would have been the harm in adding an auto power-off option to the settings?...additional hardware cost?  If maintaining an internet connection is so important as Roku says, then why the "off" feature on the Roku 4 fan model...whatever.  I don't mind waiting for an occasional update if necessary when powering up.  Roku, please make a change/update to your software and fix this oversight.

I have to ask. You don't unplug your TV, right? You do realize it's still drawing power. It's not off. It's in a low power mode they call off. Would it make you happy if Roku called it "off" instead of "sleep?" Because that's what your TV did and you aren't complaining about it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

"DBDukes" wrote:
"jigrant" wrote:

I have to ask. You don't unplug your TV, right? You do realize it's still drawing power. It's not off. It's in a low power mode they call off. Would it make you happy if Roku called it "off" instead of "sleep?" Because that's what your TV did and you aren't complaining about it.

Comparing the Roku to a TV is not the same thing. The Roku boots up just like a computer does and it should also have a shut down process to turn them off as well.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Emissary35" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"jigrant" wrote:

Comparing the Roku to a TV is not the same thing. The Roku boots up just like a computer does and it should also have a shut down process to turn them off as well.

I don't completely agree. Yes, the Roku has to boot its OS, but it's loading from RAM, not a hard drive. We don't think twice about removing a battery from a cell phone, or unplugging something like a PS4 or Wii. Devices with hard drives that write to the system do need a shutdown procedure. But devices that run from some sort of RAM and don't write to that memory can just be unplugged. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cfbcfb
Level 8

I'm returning two ultras I got yesterday right now because of this.  The roku 4 had this feature.

I have two usage cases where its critical.  My kids have a show going and turn the tv off, which shut the roku 4 off and stopped the streaming. With the ultra, it keeps going all day long until I turn the tv on and see that its just used 5% of my data cap.  In one day.

I also often put a show on when I go to bed and  set a sleep timer to shut it off after an hour, when I've always fallen asleep.  That turned the roku 4 off and stopped the streaming.  The ultra will keep going all night long because the streaming services I use will autoplay a next episode (or in the case of youtube tv, will start some random show, usually some old saturday night live show which starts with blaring horns music).  Another 5% gone.

Someone went through the trouble of taking this out of the product when as I've explained its a very valuable feature.

After the roku 4 fiasco's and now this, I'll not be purchasing any more roku products.  The fire tv box and shield tv both shut off and stop streaming when the tv goes off.  How much power the ultra uses is irrelevant.  My cable modem, router and switch are all working harder to pass streaming data for 6-8 hours that nobody is watching, and I'll have to watch tv off my antenna until my next billing cycle as I'm 90% of the way through my data cap with 2 weeks left in the billing cycle.