Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No sound

Jump to solution

I had the same problem.  Very frustrating.  I was able to regain audio by disconnecting my TV from my WiFi then reconnecting after a few seconds.  

0 Kudos
Patthekat
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I tried your suggestion of unplugging my tv from the wi-fi but still no sound.  It's weird that it only affects some films and some series and some apps but not all.  Thank you for your suggestion.

0 Kudos
jigzsaw
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Trying going to Settings on Roku and Restart. 

0 Kudos
user_in_MD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ive been having to reset my Roku multiple times every day before I get back sound. I have loved Roku for a long time but the quality has noticeably gone down hill. I’m thinking about replacing it with Apple TV. 

0 Kudos
Swordsman
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Here's the deal.  A new system will probably not cure your problem.  You absolutely must make sure that you Roku is on a Router frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz) and an open channel on the frequency you select.  If you don't, something as simple as using the microwave can cause the system to crash.  2.4GHz is an excellent standard for the router in one room, a television in another.  5GHz is much preferred but doesn't travel well between floors or walls.  2.4GHz goes much better between walls but every wireless device you have MAY be using 2.4GHz.  After setting your frequency, select a channel not being used.  2.4GHz will have three non-overlapping channels available and 5GHz will have 24 non-overlapping channels.  

See the problem?  Roku wants you to use 5GHz whenever possible.  If the signal is excellent on 5GHz, go with it.  If you still have problems, select another non-overlapping channel.  Otherwise, go with something on the 2.4GHz frequency.

0 Kudos
Patthekat
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Guess what, Linda.  It didn’t work for me.  I’ve tried all the suggestions that I’ve seen and nothing has worked. 

0 Kudos
Patthekat
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you for your sage advice about the router frequency.  Mine is 60Hz so that isn’t it.  The sound issue isn’t across the board so I’m still on square one.  I’ve tried everything and still no go.  Once I receive my new Roku I’ll give it a test drive and see if the sound issue goes away. Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
jbizios
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just experienced the No Sound issue with my new Roku Ultra connected to a non-ROKU Samsung 4K TV set.

Interestingly, the sound would play through the Roku App on my Iphone, but it would NOT play through the TV.

I realized that it most likely is an HDMI handshake issue.  I tried removing the ROKU from power (unplugging it) and restarting it after a minute or 2. No luck.

I then tried turning OFF the TV (left it plugged in)...turning OFF the ROKU Ultra and then turning ON the TV and turning ON the Roku in that order and the sound was restored.  Typical for an HDMI handshake failure.

Mileage may vary for others...but wanted to share my experience.

0 Kudos
Patthekat
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@jbizios wrote:

I just experienced the No Sound issue with my new Roku Ultra connected to a non-ROKU Samsung 4K TV set.

Interestingly, the sound would play through the Roku App on my Iphone, but it would NOT play through the TV.

I realized that it most likely is an HDMI handshake issue.  I tried removing the ROKU from power (unplugging it) and restarting it after a minute or 2. No luck.

I then tried turning OFF the TV (left it plugged in)...turning OFF the ROKU Ultra and then turning ON the TV and turning ON the Roku in that order and the sound was restored.  Typical for an HDMI handshake failure.

Mileage may vary for others...but wanted to share my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and eventual remedy.  Was your lack of sound issue for everything or just some programs? 

0 Kudos
jbizios
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There was no sound coming from the Roku -> TV for anything (through the TV speakers).

It was transmitting to the Roku App.  I didn't try the headphone jack on the Roku remote, but would think that would have worked as well. 

As part of my troubleshooting (prior to turning off the TV), I tried:

1) Restarting the ROKU

2) Unplugging the ROKU waiting 1 minute 

3) Unplugging the ROKU, removing the batteries to the Remote, starting the ROKU and putting the batteries back in the Remote (thinking that maybe the remote was in private listening mode)

None of those steps resolved it.  

0 Kudos